Sunday, February 4, 2018

Reaching for the stars

This past week was pretty busy work-wise. I wasn't able to carve out much time for sewing, but I did manage to find a few hours here and there. Instead of starting a new project, I decided to get closer to finishing on a WIP.

The Deep Sea Stars quilt to be exact.
Back before Christmas, I threw a few yards of batiks on an order from Missouri Star quilts, hoping it would be enough to finish it up. The blue and green ones were lovely. The cream one was a bit of a disappointment. It's so light, it barely  looks like a batik - it mostly just looks dirty. I think it may end up as the binding.

But back to the quilt. I cut and sewed and cut and sewed until I ran out of fabric...
Not quite big enough. It needs at least six inches on either side, and probably eight to  10 on top and bottom. So as much as I'd like to call this top done... it's going to have to wait until I can get some more fabric for it.

C'est la vie!
In the mean time, Inspector Relic says it would make a lovely cat quilt... and he really does like blue!

7 comments:

Araignee said...

I love it!! That is the thing about quilting though, it always seems you are waiting for material to show up when you want to be sewing.

chrisknits said...

It is going to be stunning once done. Is there anyway to make a scrappy border with the cream and leftovers?

Tired Teacher said...

It's beautiful. I love the colors and fabric you selected for this quilt.

The waxy residue from the dyeing process gives the fabric a weird texture, but I've grown to love working with batiks.

The Well Fed Wheel said...

Relic's not the only one loving that quilt. It's gorgeous! Love the blues and greens together!!

Delighted Hands said...

Stunning arrangement so far! I love batiks! The way you alternated the sparkly white border between the others was just right!

Eastside Cats said...

Gorgeous! And I've read that cats can see blue and green the best, so Relic is right on the mark!

gayle said...

Batiks just make my heart go pitty-pat! Loooove that sashing fabric! Gorgeous quilt ya got there!
I've found that while I'm waiting for fabric (or yarn) to finish one project, I'm usually vulnerable to starting another. Or two. This may be why I have so many wips...