Sunday, March 13, 2011

A mild cast of startitis

This morning, I decided to be a good girl and not give into "temptation" and cast on for the Crow Waltz shawl first.

And I did pretty well. The Sophisticat I'm using for the edging is nice and soft (alpaca/silk blend) and it creates lovely, full leaves, just like I was hoping. For those interested in trying Sophisticat, we haven't yet put it on the market, but we will be soon, so keep and eye out.

As you can see, I got six leaves done this morning, before I decided I shouldn't waste the whole day laying about on the couch watching movies (well, knitting means it's not really a waste, but you know what I mean).

I got up, threw in a load of laundry, scooped some cat poop and when I got back, I got distracted by something shiny....

Yeah - you guessed it. I left the Temptress Jungle Cat sitting out on the coffee table and in no time, I fell under it's spell. At the suggestion of Mom, I decided to cast on for the Hypernova shawl.

It's the perfect pattern for a busy yarn like Temptress. While the yarn is really only two colours (plum and rose) it has several shades of those colours, and I was really worried about choosing a lace pattern that would just get lost.
It doesn't look like much right now, but I think it's really going to work out well and I haven't put it down since I cast on.

A word of caution though - it's not really a pattern for the faint hearted - it's not technically hard, but you REALLY have to pay attention. And when you first look at it, those charts are darn intimidating. Looking at the finished project on Ravelry though, I think it's going to be worth it.

So... now I have TWO shawls on the go. And if that weren't enough, before Dave and I went to run errands yesterday, I reallized it didn't have any car knitting.

I grabbed the rest of the orange handspun I made my beret out of last fall, and cast on for a pair of my Turner mitts for myself
And now I have seven WIPs on the go, when I resolved to have no more than five. So, if you'll excuse me - I have some knitting to do!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a big pile of WIPs! Hope you made a good dent in it this afternoon.

Monika said...

I like all your pattern choices. Arlene's shawl looks so easy, but fabulous!
Three WIP's is the most I can do, before I get crazy.

Anonymous said...

Love how your pattern choices look with your color choices!

WildflowerWool said...

Wow, lots of projects on the needles. I seem to have a lot on the go right now as well. Always too much to knit and not enough time...

Minding My Own Stitches said...

Uh oh. I'd send you a scolding look but I haven't been much better behaved these days!