I've been sewing again... I have to say... I like the idea of sewing a lot better than I actually like sewing. But I'm determined to persevere.
I love dresses (if you look at any of my modeled cardigan shots, that's easy to see), but I have an odd body type (wide hips, short and narrow waist, and a wee bit busty) so it can be tricky finding store-bought dresses that fit properly. An empire waist is most flattering on me, but finding one to properly accommodate my top deck can be difficult.When they upsize a dress for a larger girl, they make it wider, but not deeper - and I end up with the seam mid-bust. So I thought - why not make a dress?
I found the perfect pattern that had lots of options
I had to make several adjustments. I added some length to the bodice to help with eh aforementioned bust problem. I also had to add a full liner. The pattern only lines the bodice, but the eyelet material was too thin (not to mention full of holes...) to be appropriate for the skirt without something underneath it. I also added some width to the skirt as well - just to give my hips a little more room.
Not being a fantastic sewer, I took my time. When Saturday evening rolled around, all I had left was to attach the liner to the shell, and insert the zipper... but I put it away, ready to start fresh the next morning. By early afternoon today - I had a new dress!
I learned quite a few things making this - and the next one will be better - a more appropriate material - and probably some french seams for a more finished product!