Sunday, July 16, 2017

A misconception, a surprise, some confusion and a dissapointment...

Sorry about a double garden post, but I've barely knit a stitch. I want to give Peno some air time, but she's been shunning my camera since I brought the kitten home. So... gardens it is...

Misconception:
When my white lilies bloomed last year, I assumed they were Casablanca lilies.
 It turns out they aren't. They are just plain old (but pretty) white Asiatic lilies.

These....
... are the Casablanca lilies! They have beautiful, curling petals, an amazing smell and they are almost double in size... truly magnificent!

Surprise:

When I bought a couple Columbine on clearance for the new front garden, I was not expecting to see blooms until next year. Columbine generally blooms in mid-late spring, and we were already in mid-June.

But look...
 Such a pretty colour too!
That lovely dark pink extends right through to the "tails". This is such a nice surprise and I'm sure its going to be amazing next year.

Confusion:
This pretty new Day Lily bloomed. But I'm not sure if it's...
Autumn Red... or...
Crimson Pirate. (I bought these lilies weeks apart.. and honestly, completely forgot about the Autumn Red or I wouldn't have bought the Pirate because it's so close!)

I'm leaning towards Pirate, because according to other internet pics, Autumn Red has slightly thicker petals, and a larger yellow throat. Either way, it's pretty!

Disappointment:

When something is labelled as "Ruby" Star
 you'd expect it to at least be a little bit red... or at least a decent pink like the picture... but...
yeah... in fact, other than the upright leaves... it's almost the exact same shade as my purple ones...
I thought maybe my plant got mislabeled but no... a google search confirms, Ruby Star is not very Ruby-like (though it should be a little more pink than mine)

Of course, this isn't the first time this has happened. My Bee Balm is the "Blue Stocking" variety, and while it looked very blue on the label, it's pretty darn purple
And of course, my Indian Blanket Sunflowers...
 Look nothing like the seed package....

6 comments:

The Well Fed Wheel said...

I'm loving that Indian Summer sun flower!!! I must tell the gardener to plant some for me. I would love to have one of those staring in the window at me. So pretty!

Araignee said...

Interesting.....they are all pretty but you want what you want when you plant them.

Mereknits said...

YOur garden is stunning, enjoy!

Minding My Own Stitches said...

I wonder if the acidity of your soil affects the colour of your flowers? I know with blue hydrangeas you have to add acidifiers to the soil or they go pink or even purple. Love the Columbine!

Delighted Hands said...

The flowers are beautiful no matter their name....a rose by any other and all that!

kathy b said...

You are the seedling warrior. You really show your love of gardening, in these posts. I enjoy each one so very much