Monday, August 21, 2017

FO: Old Shale

As promised...
I gave Burton final say on the buttons for the Old Shale cardigan.
That boy has good taste.
I really am so pleased with how this one turned out. The grey yarn, and the delicate buttons give it just the Victorian feel I was going for.
The pattern is Old Shale Cardigan (there's a child-sized version too). I did make a few mods. I adjusted how the raglans were constructed, and I added the old shale lace pattern to the cuffs and collar. In the pattern as written, they are just plain garter stitch. Were I to make it again, I'd rework the pattern to do it from the top down... but that's just a personal preference. The pattern is fine as is.
The yarn is Barn Car Sport - nice and washable for Mom, but soft and warm for baby. It's classed as Sport Weight, but both Mom and I agree, it's more like a heavy fingering. Either way... it may be my new favourite work-a-day yarn. Mom dyed it in a soft Dove grey at my request, and as you can see, it has very subtle variations in shade. It just adds a touch of depth to the knit which I absolutely love.

Here's hoping the judges do too!

8 comments:

Araignee said...

Perfection!!!!

Delighted Hands said...

A perfect baby cardigan! It might look Victorian but every modern mom will love it on her little girl! Great job and snuggle Burton for us-he has great taste!

Vera said...

Beautiful! Love the shade of gray and those buttons are perfect. Will done!!

The Well Fed Wheel said...

So pretty! Perfect button choice too!

Eastside Cats said...

Simply adorable! Some baby is going to be the talk of the town, wearing your sweater!

chrisknits said...

The judges will love it!! Good job, it's a great knit.

kathy b said...

That's a blue ribbon winner. NO DOUBT about it. Gorgeous Understated. it will show the bABY OFF so well!

Rachelle said...

That's gorgeous and the buttons are definitely the right ones!