Friday, August 18, 2017

Friday Felines

I'm starting to get a feeling we may end up a four-cat household by the end of the year.
This is becoming a common sight when I open the curtains in the morning. Dear sweet Relic is coming for food morning and night. Lately he's been sticking around for some lovin', and it's usually Dave... "Mr.-I-don't-really-like-cats" who is out there giving it to him.

We've talked about building him a winter shelter, but Dave has been making comments like "It's too bad we just can't let him inside..."

There are several barriers to that at the moment:
  • Rupert hates him. So far, Relic backs away when Rupert thumps the window, but its hard to say what would happen if they were in the same space.
  • Relic is still intact. I have no problem getting him neutered, but he may still spray. Not ideal for an indoor cat.
  • Being that he's a stray (we are 99% sure), he could be an FIV carrier. He'd have to be tested before being introduced to the household.
He also doesn't trust me enough to pick him up. I tried to get him in a carrier earlier this year and it didn't go well. So for now, I'll keep working to gain his trust. We'll keep him well fed, and make sure he has a warm spot for the winter... and see where it goes.

13 comments:

Araignee said...

Welcome to my world! I am managing three toms at the moment who all hate each other. I run around outside every morning feeding them in different areas of the woods so they don't kill each other. I have no idea what I am going to do this winter because I already have three heated huts for my female outsiders and no more electric outlets for more. Where on earth are all these male cats coming from? All my females are spayed. It's like a zoo out there this summer.

Bridget said...

I'm glad that no matter what, you guys are looking after him as best you can. He is a very pretty kitty.

Vera said...

He's a handsome one! I'm sure he will gain trust in you as time goes by so that you can have him tested/neutered/etc. And, perhaps, over time he and Rupert can become buddies. It's nice he has you and Dave to take care of him now.

Cat Lover said...

Hi Valerie, you are having the same dilemma we are. Miss Kitty does trust us and we can pick her up and cuddle her but when she wants out she wants out NOW! I don't know how we would keep her inside. We plan on building a shelter outside as she isn't the only one around as you know. Smokey is a sweetheart but not neutered. I can only touch his head briefly and he backs away.
Let's hope everything works out.
Take care.
Robin

Delighted Hands said...

Oh, he is a youngster, though! I would add him and let everyone sort it out!

The Well Fed Wheel said...

Oh poor baby. I hope it all works out. He needs a home. Bless you for looking out for him.

Eastside Cats said...

May I humbly suggest that you trap Relic? There are humane traps that are easy to set up, and once the cat is inside and locked in (they step on a spring-loaded plate that closes the door behind), you throw a sheet over the trap and transport to low-cost spay & neuter clinic. My friendly ferals let me pet them, pull their fur, check their feet and teeth, but no WAY can I get them in a carrier. So I have to trap them, and I've done it four, five times each. I set up my drop trap, use it as their feeding station for weeks, then on the day of the vet appt, I drop it and gather them up. I got both to have their dentals done; both cats changed overnight after that because they had many broken teeth. I would LOVE to have them inside too, FIV or no, but they don't want to come in. Good luck!

kathy b said...

Good plan. Id keep him outside well warmed. He'll come around . You are correct about the spraying. MAN cats just FIND you guys!!! You are special people

Mereknits said...

Relic is a beauty. Can you get him tested for the virus? Love all your knitting this week. Have a great weekend.

chrisknits said...

Aw, what a sweetie!

elns said...

He's so handsome! I feel like your barrier list, was more of a to do list on how you're going to make him part of the permanent clan. I love how everyone human and cat have different dynamics together. I hope whatever happens you're all happy and healthy sharing space in the best way for you all. Also I can't believe that Ru won't like him eventually. Everything about Ru is wonderful. hehe.

bittenbyknittin said...

Well, he's your cat whether he is inside or out. I think it is important to have him neutered and tested - maybe a humane animal trap to catch him? Locally, they are available on loan from our local animal shelter. Good luck! (And thank you for taking care of him!)

Anonymous said...

He's certainly a handsome boy.....hope you can figure out a way to keep him warm and safe this winter.