Saturday, June 16, 2012

Budget bride

The edging for the crow waltz shawl is blocking, and nothing else on the needles is speaking to me at the moment, so I thought I'd take the opportunity to answer some of the questions that have been asked about our upcoming ceremony.

What most of you don't know, is that Dave and I were actually planning to do this a few years back, but then the engine went on his car and.... well, there went all the money we were planning to spend. It was never going to be a huge event - as much as I'd love to, I just can't spend $20,000 on one day, and don't really want to go into debt for it.  We've scaled it back even more from our original plans, so that means hunting bargains and doing a lot of things ourselves. Not really a problem for a crafty bargain-hunter like me!

The dress I found on Ebay. It's been hanging in my closet for about three years now (since the car blew up) and I'm really excited to be able to wear it. It wasn't one of those overseas deals  - this was a bridal shop in the states, selling off old store samples. The dress had been tried on by brides, and then they'd order it in the proper size.
It's in beautiful condition - tried on, but never worn. The lace jacket, which is fully beaded, comes off and it's just a nice simple dress with spaghetti straps. The best part though.. the original price tag came with it. - $800. I got it for $60. I'd call that a steal!

Our colours are red, black and of course, white.And while real flowers are nice, silk flowers are usually less expensive (though they can get pretty pricey themselves), and can be done well in advance.
This is my bouquet. It's made from four autumn floral picks, bought at the dollar store. The wild roses were bought at Michael's on sale. The total cost of my bouquet? Less than $10 - ribbon included! I still have to make my attendants' flowers, but I have a similar plan.

Many readers will remember that I use to make and sell jewelry. I still have quite the stash of beads, and I put these together today.

Pearls and garnets - my favourite combination. I'm still deciding on the style of necklace I want. I will be making sets for the girls as well.

And, as much as I'd love to spend the morning being pampered, and getting my hair done, the cost of an updo (especially with the length of my hair) just isn't in the cards.  I've been wracking my brain for something pretty, but easy, which could be styled by myself or one of my attendants.  I owe the thanks for this one to Celtic Cast On. She has some adorable pictures of her little T on Ravelry, with her hair done just like this.

Add in some flowers, and voila - instant bride (admittedly, it's a little messy, because I did it myself - but it's very easy for someone else to do). The best part is, I've had my hair up like this all day, doing housework and bouncing around, and it's still in and looking decent. It should hold up well for the big day.

Several of you have also asked about a wedding shawl. Naturally, there's going to be a wedding shawl. But I'm not making it. Mom has very kindly offered to knit it for me. I've dyed up some Fluffy Cat Lite in a rich, raspberry red, and she will be making Aeolian, which will go perfect with our autumnal, leafy theme! I will share pictures as soon as she starts!

Up next is finalizing the guest list, and designing the invitations. I'd like to have them in the mail next month. The count down is on!

6 comments:

Rachelle said...

Sounds lovely, Aeolian is a gorgeous shawl, I really love mine.

Minding My Own Stitches said...

This is some AWESOME planning. The guest could be a tough one. Do you have a honeymoon planned?

Zenitude said...

Dress is beautiful as is your bouquet. Good for you for searching for best deals!

Anonymous said...

You are going to be a most beautiful bride! I love the dress! And $60! Girl, you KNOW how to shop!

Araignee said...

Love that dress! Daughter had a terrible time finding a dress that didn't look like she had a towel wrapped around her. She would have loved to have found one like yours. Back in the 70's my mom made my dress, my cake and my dried flower bouquet. I have such wonderful memories. I just wish I had better photos. The one thing I should have spent more money on is the photographer.

Monika said...

Valerie, that all sounds wonderful! I hate wasting money on these big events. Your dress is gorgeous, and so are the earrings, and your colors. This will be a great day, and nobody has to go into debt! I can't wait to see pictures of you on your special day, with all those beautiful things, and the shawl too. :o)