Wednesday, September 15, 2010

I think the cats are trying to tell me something....

... but I'm not sure what it is.

As I'm sure I've mentioned before, Peno likes to dump her water dish. Tux's urinary diet food has a tendency to make him thirsty, so I like to have a big bowl full of water so he doesn't run out while I'm at work. (And it has to be glass - they won't drink out of plastic or metal bowls.) So I gave them my large glass salad bowl. It was very narrow at the bottom, and wide at the top, and for some reason, before drinking, Peno has to bring her water dish toward her by hooking her claws on the lip and pulling back. Of course, the shape of the bowl made it easy to tip, and I often came home to water all over the floor.

So, I started changing up the bowls. I thought my heavy mixing bowl would be a good fix, but nope she still manage to dump it. We went through a few other bowls before I finally, I gave in and gave them my favourite glass casserole dish (not really a big deal, Dave already broke the lid). It seemed perfect, it was shallow and wide and not so tip-able. And for a while, it worked.

Until the other day when I came home from work to water all over the floor. I thought perhaps they were just roughhousing and one of them bumped it or got knocked into it.

Until the next day when I came home to water all over the floor. *Sigh* ... I filled it back up and made mental note to start searching for something else.

But the very next morning, I woke up to water all over the floor again. Pressed for time, I threw down a towel, filled up the dish and ran out the door to work.

And what did I find when I got homek? The entire towel was in the water dish!

Any one care to translate?

In other news....

You may have noticed I've been a total blog slacker lately. Freelance work has picked up again and I've had little time to knit, or blog, or just generally feel sane. But, it's hard to say no to the extra cash.

However, on Sunday, I did say enough is enough! Dave and I spent the entire day on the couch watching the entire fourth season of the Tudors. And I knit away on the crackghan.(Cat included for scale) It's about 2/3 done, and I'm loving every inch of it!

So, I'll try to keep you updated (and get some knitting done so I have something to update on) but if you don't hear from me for a few days, don't worry, I can be found under a mountain of work, somewhere behind the accumulating pile of dirty dishes and laundry (because if you know if I don't have time to blog, I'm certainly not taking the time to clean!)

15 comments:

Jeanne said...

Too funny about the cats and water bowl - but I'm sure frustrating. I can't offer any insight except that they are cats, and cats are contrary!

The blanket looks great!

Monika said...

That sure is funny. They must be bored or something, who knows?
Love the blanket. I could never do that, because of the million ends you have to weave in.

Anonymous said...

Cats! Who knows what they are thinking???

The *crackghan* looks great.

Anonymous said...

Cats seem to have their own agenda and Im darned if i can work it out!!!!!

Minding My Own Stitches said...

Wow, the crackghan is really starting to come together! Isn't the Tudors perfect for knitting?

lexa said...

Too funny! Is it a bunch of little buggers or just one in particular?! Too bad you didn't have a video camera you could set up to record the water dish activities, lol.

Samantha said...

Puff used to have to move his water dish too. Hmm. I don't know what they're trying to say. Maybe they were trying to clean up their mess with the towel ...

Yay for freelance work! Yay for money!

bittenbyknittin said...

I overwatered a large houseplant and I thought the plastic saucer beneath it had sprung a leak because of all the water all around. But later I realized a certain feline resident had been playing in the water in the saucer. Argh! Maybe you should keep the water bowls in the bathtub!

Knitting Linguist said...

I'm glad to hear you have your blogging/cleaning priorities straight :). And ca i just say again how much i adore the crackghan? I have got to just get out all my sock yarn and some needles and start one of those - it's just lovely.

As for the cats, maybe they know something about imminent flooding that we can't sense?

Anonymous said...

Our cats used to play with the water bowl (or I thought it was play) but then I heard a tip about putting a floating ball of some sort - clean ping pong ball, or one of those "no-melt" plastic ice cubes, etc. into the water. Turns out the reason they were messing with the water was so they could see the level and gauge how far to dip their tongues in, so they wouldn't get their little heads too wet. Once I put a floatie in the water dishes, the flooding/playing/puddles stopped.

Amy & the house of cats said...

It is good that you are getting the extra work - might as well do it when you have it available, so that you can save up for times when maybe there is less available to do!

As far as the dish situation, we had a lot of tipping at our house too. We have now got a bowl that has almost straight sides (tough to tip) and also put it on anoter plate to catch spills. The caserole sounds like a great idea, unless it is a more narrow at the bottom type (but I can't imagine it would be). I would think the issue now is that it needs to be a bit taller and less full (so if someone tips it toward them to drink like Peno does it doesn't spill out as easily). Other than that I am not sure what to tell you - I do kind of understand the towel thing - my cats do like to put stuff in their water bowl (though the whole towel sounds like someone is trying to maybe send you a message). Good luck!

Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

The cats are so cute! I used to use a plastic butter dish (large one) to put my cat's water in, and she would dump it over the floor all the time. Now, she'll only drink from the bathtub faucet (how she started doing that and why, I'll never know).

I love the blanket. I've been debating on doing one of those for awhile, but haven't got a pattern for it. Can you point me in the direction of one (hopefully a free one because I haven't much money to buy patterns currently).

Shelley
Kitten Knits Yarn

Helen said...

I think the cats think you're being very slow to learn something. But I don't know what it is.

gayle said...

If you figure out the water thing, they'll just switch to something else. Cats...
Love the crackghan!

Haley said...

LOVE the crackghan. Love it!