Monday, October 30, 2017

FO: Scotty Love Placemats

While we're on the topic of plaid....

I have an FO to share that makes me feel a little less guilty about my recent fabric sprees...
Not long after Dave and Mom finished refurbishing his grandma's Singer for me, I decided I need to make Grandma something.

On one of my first visits to Missouri Star Quilts, I came across the Scotty Love charm pack. For those of you who don't know, Dave's grandma is from Scotland.And she loves Scotty dogs. She loves having the family together for dinner, so I thought place mats were the perfect thing.
I used the same pattern for the mats I made for Sam last year. The Lens Mills by my house yielded up the grey sashing from the remnant bin. The backing/binding I was a little more particular on. I wanted something plaid, or plaid like...and was thrilled when I found the hounds-tooth/dotty check. It  was like it was made to match the charm pack.
Because Dave's family is fairly large, I made six mats. It's not enough for everyone, but it's rare that everyone is there for dinner all at once. There are three of each design.

And.... I did these ALL.BY.MYSELF. Complete from start to finish.
As many of you know, I usually farm the actual quilting part out to Mom. I didn't do that this time for two reasons:

1) I wanted these to be made completely on the Singer.
2) Mom's got a lot of her own projects on the go, it's not fair to keep asking her to work on mine.

Though Mom did give me a free-motion foot for the Singer, I'm not ready for that yet. So I opted for simple lines. It took a lot longer than I expected, but it was worth it. They aren't perfect, but not mad for my first shot at quilting.

Next chance at practice will be the green quilt... it's a lot bigger, so things are about to get interesting...

8 comments:

Araignee said...

What a wonderful gift!!!

Delighted Hands said...

What an amazing gift for Grandma!!! These are such a personal and practical gift-she will love them and you can know you gave her a piece of yourself!
The piecing and quilting look great and just what you needed to put experience under your belt! Ta-da!!!

Bridget said...

Oh I love them! I think they will be quite a hit.

Good job, I think they look really really nice.

kathy b said...

The Scottie theme is perfect. I love a quilted placemat. You did very very well Val~!

Eastside Cats said...

She's going to be over-the-moon when you give these to her! So very thoughtful of you.

Judy S. said...

Nice work! Thanks again for the pattern link!

Vera said...

These are great! Perfect for a Scottish Grandma. I bet she will love aND cherish them.

The Well Fed Wheel said...

Oh I love these! It's the perfect gift idea.