Sunday, March 20, 2011

There's a reason they call it "Sun"day.

That's how today started - three friends snuggled up in a sunbeam... nice and lazy - a perfect Sunday.

Saturday was spent getting a jump on spring cleaning and it was quite an impressive leap, so I rewarded myself with self-indulgent Sunday.

As you may have guessed from the lack of blogging, I haven't been doing a lot of knitting lately. There has been some, but not enough to really share progress.

Mostly, I've been working on Hypernova - it's coming along nicely, but it certainly doesn't grow very quickly - a half circle/crescent shape is definitely more work than a triangle.

I was also getting a little ancy about the number of WIPs I had, so I took stock this weekend to see if there was anything I could finish up in short order.

Sure enough - there was a sock just waiting for its mate.
You may remember the "Another Faery" socks I'd started in Stray Cat. I'd meant to start the second sock ages ago, but had been distracted by shiny things (like new yarn!)

So Saturday night, after most of the house was sparkling clean, I snuggled down on the couch with a movie and the cats and cast on. By the time Dave hauled me off to bed, I was done the cuff (ankle-length and sport weight make for a nice quick knit)I did the heel and gusset this morning and the rest of the foot was finished this afternoon/evening.

I made several mods to this pattern (and not because there is anything wrong with it -it's a lovely pattern as written). The first is obviously the length. I shortened the cable because I only made one skein of this colour and it's not quite enough for full-length socks. The pattern also takes the ribbing down the heel, but I just did my usual heel.

And while I didn't rib the heel - I did take it right down the toe - just for fun.

All in all, these are a comfy, toasty pair of socks. The Stray Cat gives great stitch definition, so it's perfect for cables.

And now I have no socks on the needles... but I should cast something else off before I cast on another pair... should... but probably won't....

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it's the first law of knitting ... you MUST have socks on the needles at all times. ;-)

Your new socks look great!

Delusional Knitter said...

Very nice socks. Love that color ... reminds me of coffee or caramel ... mmmm ... can yarn be that yummy???

Monika said...

They look warm and cosy. Nice colorway!

Minding My Own Stitches said...

Very nice socks - pattern and yarn both!

About the warming spring sun? What the cats said!

Knitting Linguist said...

I see from your next post that you did - and I can see why! These are beautiful socks (I love that cable), and the new pair are, too. I'm glad you got to enjoy a relaxing sunny Sunday. Those are the best.

Knatolee said...

Love the colours in that yarn.