Sunday, March 15, 2015

FO: Old town

I mentioned the other day that Old Town was finally finished. Mom and I found a pretty Anglican Church in Owen Sound for a quick photoshoot.
I'm not overly thrilled with this one and I'm glad it's finally off the needles. It had an interesting construction, so it was a fairly engaging knit. But I just don't think it suits my body type - it's just too boxy for my short torso and wide hips.
The empire line above the bust doesn't work so well for me either. I much prefer below.
I'm also very dissapointed in the yarn. It's Elsebeth Lavold Cotton Patine and while it was okay to knit with (cotton not being one of my favourite fibers) it had a bit of a nasty surprise when it came time to block. It bleeds.... A LOT. (And sadly, I have 10 more balls of it to use up)

Seriously - you would not want to wash this with anything else. And after soaking, it stained the towels I used to squeeze the water out. And after blocking....
Look down the arm..... you can see where the dye pooled and is darker at the edge where it was folded. I'm going to give it a run through the washer to see if it evens out. If so, this one is going right in the Christmas box. If not... it's a cat blanket!

7 comments:

kathy b said...

Oh I think that reviews like this are so helpful to the rest of us. Im sorry it was a wash....sort of. Im sorry all that work went into it and it bled and onto the towels too!! I'm pretty anti cotton ...mostly because of my wrist hurting after knitting with cotton.

Rachelle said...

I had wondered what that mark on the sleeve was, thanks for clearing that up!
As far as the empire line is concerned, I'd not thought of it as being one due to where it was placed. It's more of a forward shoulder seam (very forward) to me.

Unknown said...

Hmmm...I see all your points of concern. That first photo certainly shows off the beautiful lacy stitches around the neck and down the front - really lovely work. If it doesn't fit just right, though, it's not the ticket! The bleeding color is also a disappointment.

Anonymous said...

How disappointing about the yarn. I can see what you are saying about the pooling. Hope it all works out in the wash because it really is a pretty sweater.

Araignee said...

Oh, no....it's such a pretty thing in spite of it's shortcomings.

Donna said...

I hate when that happens. I have a cardigan I knit last year that has become a cats blanket. It is huge and the yarn just sucks. You captured some real nice photos of it thought!

Minding My Own Stitches said...

Good for you for sticking with it, but I would be hugely annoyed! I hope you also leave a warning comment on the yarn page in Ravelry to save another unsuspecting soul from the same fate.

It's a pretty sweater, but no, I don't think it suits you as well as so many of the others you have knit.