Saturday, December 5, 2015

Unexpected visitor

The other night, I'd just got home from work, and was sitting down to dinner when I noticed something flutter by my feet. And then Rocky pounced.

At first I thought it was a little house moth (we see a few now and again), but as Rocky moved his paws, I noticed it was a fair bit bigger than our usual moths. I bent down to rescue it from Rocky and...
... discovered it was one of our favourite little White Cabbage Butterflies. I have no idea where he came from. It's entirely possible he flew in while I was bringing in the groceries...
...but we usually don't see them past October. We had a really mild November, but we have had frost, which I think would have killed them all.
The only thing I can think is that maybe there as a cocoon hiding on my one of house plants. I had no choice but to put him outside. I doubt I could have kept him alive throughout the winter...especially with the mighty butterfly hunter in the house...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rocky is definitely a big boy isn't he. Giroux LOOKS big in pictures, but he's really pretty small as cats go.

Rocky looks a little peeved that you took away his catch. LOL

kathy b said...

Yup. My cats would have hunted it down too

Araignee said...

Right after I bring the plants in for the winter the house is full of crazy critters. None as pretty as that. This year it was crazy jumping spiders that always wanted to jump on me.

Unknown said...

He looks like he might be saying, "All hail the butterfly hunter! I will prevail."

RobinH said...

A fearsome mighty hunter indeed!