Saturday, February 27, 2016

Making Mirri

Part of the reason the tunic back wasn't finished earlier this week, is because I got a little distracted.
You see, Delusional Knitter is running a little KAL in her Ravelry group, for a very pretty shawl pattern of hers... Mirabel.

I just couldn't resist casting on, because I had the perfect yarn combo:
Back when Mom and I first started dyeing, we bought all our yarns on cones, and had to wind up each skein ourselves. This usually meant by the end of the cone, there was one skein that was a little short on yardage. Since I liked short socks, I dyed those short skeins up and kept them for myself. The green (English Ivy) and Pink (Magnolia) are two such skeins of Top Cat that have been in the stash forever. I keep meaning to make socks with them, but there's only so many hours in the day. When I saw Mirabel, I knew they were perfect for it - I just had to find a third yarn. I have another (full) skein of Top Cat in a pale pink (powder puff) but, then I remembered the half skein of Barn Cat  left over from my Broken Seed Stitch Socks... it couldn't be more perfect than if I dyed them all just for this purpose.

I cast on Tuesday night....
...and it's all gone quite quickly. My original intention was to make this for a friend's birthday... but I'm thinking I might just have to keep this one for myself.

5 comments:

Araignee said...

I'd keep that too!

Anonymous said...

That's a great combo!

Bridget said...

That already looks stunning! (FWIW, I'd keep it ...)

kathy b said...

Oh my gosh> I love how this pattern suits that yarn. it is perfection!

elns said...

I saw this and was tempted, but my focus is one track. I think I'll have to file this beautiful pattern away for later. But yeah, keep it for yourself, ha!