Monday, September 22, 2014

Ah, nuts!

Dad's neighbour has a black walnut tree that over hangs my parents' yard. Every year, they are inundated with walnuts.

When I'm there, I help him pick them up off the lawn. He stores them in his shed until winter, when he puts them out for the squirrels (mostly for the amusement of Ladydog). He got so many this year, that I thought I might bring some home for my squirrels
I'll save most of them for when it snows, but I put some out on Sunday to see what the squirrels would do.
It took him a while, but eventually this little guy realized something new was afoot in the yard.
He sniffed, and sniffed, and sniffed... and then he found them
And sniffed some more...
Before deciding the bird feeder had better grub....
Oh well, he'll figure it out eventually.

7 comments:

elns said...

Loved the squirrel baiting and accompanying photos.

Delusional Knitter said...

Hahahahahha! I loved that story.

Araignee said...

I had two beautiful old black walnuts before the hurricanes Isabelle and Irene took them down. I used them for dyeing wool. It makes a very pretty brown. All of our squirrels would have dyed brown faces when it was walnut time.

Anonymous said...

He will REALLY appreciate them when the winter snows are covering everything else.

Unknown said...

LOL. Such a cute story. I wonder how long it will take for the squirrel to figure out what a treasure you've left him.

kathy b said...

I love your gnome too!
WE had a messy black walnut that had to come down a few years ago. WE don't miss it.

Rachelle said...

He's not hungry enough yet; that will change though!