Saturday, September 27, 2014

FO: Eve's Ribs

One of the things I like best about finishing a knit, is planning the FO photoshoot. It's always fun to find a unique location that suits the garment.

The location I chose for Eve's Ribs was discovered a month or so ago when Mom and I took the girls back to Owen Sound after their summer visit. About an hour from home, is the University of Guelph. And they recently installed a very cool sculpture of their school mascot, right on the corner of two main roads.

As soon as I saw him, I said to Mom "We have to do a photoshoot there." And today we did!
Meet Gryph! I got very well acquainted with him. Unfortunately, he's made of bronze, which means on a warm sunny day like today - he's scorching hot! But isn't he fantastic?

Okay... now back to the knit
As you know, I was a little apprehensive about this one. I was worried it was too much yellow. But now that I've worn it, I think I'm okay with it.
I was worried I blocked it out to big. And I did. But a quick trip in the dryer snugged things back up again.  I was a little worried about the length -  probably one of the most common complaints among Ravellers is that it's not long enough. But I should have known better - I have a short waist, I usually don't have too much trouble with length.
I was also worried the sleeves were going to be too short. No worries there, they are actually a little long, which is the way I like them. They are suppose to be narrower for the sleeve option I chose (There are four options in the pattern), but I had trouble with the short rows, so just winged it. The results of my winging were a slightly wider sleeve, but I can live with that.
The only other mod I made was to the stitch pattern. As written, you only do they eyelet pattern (Eve's Ribs) for the collar, then you switch to Adam's Rib. It's the same thing, but with make-ones instead of yarn overs. But I love lace, so I used the eyelet throughout.

I used Louisa Harding Kashmir Aran. It's a Merino/Microfibre/Cashmere blend. It's very soft, and very warm. (The sweater didn't stay on for long after the photo shoot - too warm out!). It's going to be nice and cheery in the depths of winter!

So now I'm looking into a new project...
 ...and contemplating a way to bring Gryph home to my backyard. I want to keep him!

6 comments:

Minding My Own Stitches said...

Gryph is fantastic! Imagine that in your backyard!

Eve's Ribs are lovely and the yellow is gorgeous on you, so not to worry. I like my sleeves a bit long too!

Unknown said...

A splendid photo shoot. I love the sweater. The lace is gorgeous, and the fit looks perfect. Yes, Gryph provides a great background. Fantastic sculpture!

Delusional Knitter said...

That is THE COOLEST statue! I love the photo at the end with you holding a book. WOW WOW WOW! I love it! And let's not forget your BEAUTIFUL sweater too!

Unknown said...

Love the photo shoot! Such an awesome venue for such a beautiful sweater. Great job all around.

lexa said...

Love it! And that has to be one of the best FO photo shoots ever!! :)

Rachelle said...

I think I want Gryph too; he's gorgeous! I like the cardigan, but I think it is a little big in the back under the arms, is that the bit that improved in the dryer?
It does look lovely though, would be great with a red dress.