Sunday, July 19, 2015

Berry bliss

It was the hottest day of the year yesterday (though today is probably a close second) - perfect day to make more jam, right?.... Right!

I had to chauffuer Dave around in the morning (his car was in the shop) but as soon as I dropped him off, it was off to my favourite berry farm...
Where I got seven pints of luscious raspberries. Unfortunately they were out of strawberries. Strawberry season is a very short season this far north (about two or three weeks at most) and I'd planned to do strawberry jam two weeks ago, but my back issues put paid to that plan.  I figured I'd have to buy some frozen strawberries (more expensive, but hey - a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do to get her jam). But then I passed one of the little tourist trap produce stands on the way home and they had...
.....BIG beautiful strawberries. Yes... they were $6 a quart.... but that's how much I love homemade strawberry jam.

As soon as I got home, I settled on to the couch with my knife and my bowls and started to hull them all.
Tux came and checked them out and the passed out beside me. He much prefers the berries AFTER they've been made into jam (preferably on toast with a little bit of butter too).

Then it was blend, and  stir, stir, stir.....
... and not long after...
10 beautiful jars of jam. Unfortunately, I underestimated how far those six quarts would go. I had to pop out this morning for more sugar, jars and certo. There will be much more jamming today. When I'm done, I'll have about 20 jars of each. (Plus the cherry I made on Friday). That should do until next summer... right?

Well... maybe. I really like jam.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are amazing!!!!! There is nothing better than homemade jam. I have a friend that makes us some hot pepper jelly! It's sooooo good.

Enjoy your jam!

Minding My Own Stitches said...

Love homemade jam, but the cooking of it, not so much! That's what farmer's markets are for, to my way of thinking! Hope you're not sweltering too badly today! It's HOT HOT HOT!!

Araignee said...

I love jam too. I don't know why I never think to buy berries when they are in season and make some. Homemade is so much better. A few jars tucked away is a sure cure for the winter blues.

WildflowerWool said...

I love homemade jam! Great picture of Tux.

Unknown said...

Looks DELICIOUS!!! Good for you for standing over a hot stove, stirring!! It paid off, for sure!

RobinH said...

Yum! I adore homemade jam. Fortunately, my mom feeds my addiction. So long as I don't go wild and eat it on ice cream or something (that uses a lot of jam fast!).