Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Had enough....

Alright... just got back from the annual doctor visit... not happy...
I have gained 15 lbs in the last year... I seriously want to make some changes for the better in my life - not just to lose the weight but also live a healthier lifestyle.

I am a notorious junk food junkie. My biggest problem is I'll be good for a while (exercising and eating better) and then I'll fall off the wagon (binge on the couch with a bag of cookies, tub of icecream and raft of potato chips)

I think I need a little support and maybe if I log it on here, it will keep me motivated. Feel free to play along and we can all get healthier together... (Mom I need your help to make a button)

My goal is:

To exercise at least 20-30 minutes everyday - To start I'm using Jeopardy.
While Jeopardy is on, I am going to walk (briskly) in place with my weights and on the commercials I am going to jog. This way I exercise my body and mind.
On the weekends I will take part in some sort of active activity, be it hiking, biking or even just an hour walking around the mall shopping. I also have several fitness videos (Tony Little is scary but puts together a good workout) that I'd like to do more often, but I think I'll stick with the Jeopardy walk and see how it goes

Drink more water: This will also help with another goal of mine - drink less pop

Eat better: I've already started this, eating a better lunch at work, but I have to stay away from the candy machine. I am no longer going to keep goodies (such as chips, cookies, chocolate etc.) in the house. Instead I am going to go out every Saturday and buy one small treat - just enough for that day - as a reward for being good

Current conditions:

Weight: 185lbs
Waist 36"
Hips: 48"
Arms: 12.5"
Things I've done good: Not been to McDonald's (or any other fast food restaurant) for a week
Things I've done bad: eaten half a bag of cookies in one sitting and chased it with some sour cream and onion chips.

Goal:
Weight: 150lbs
Waist: 32"
Hips: 42"
Arms: 10"
So 35 lbs and 12 inches to go

Now.. does anyone have any ideas how to get this guy to lose some weight?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is great!
I suggest that you quantify your water and eating healthy goals. Like your will have only 1 pop and day and at least 5 serving of fruit and veg a day, or whatever you choose.

Definitely stay away from the candy machine. It is an evil smelly!!

Samantha said...

Walk Away the Pounds is the best workout video I've ever had (and I've had A LOT) ... its a good workout too.

What kind of pop do you drink? When I drink pop I drink Coke Zero or Fresca. I cut out sugar, I use splenda in my coffee, and I keep a load of fresh fruits and veggies on hand for when I'm feeling nibbley.

I want to get a juicer too. I drink V8. One can of V8 is 3 veggie servings and only 100 calories. I'm big on the calorie counting. Its easy and once you get into the habit of eating good food you can let yourself have a treat.

If I can lose weight so can you. I have faith in you. :)

Rhonda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rhonda said...

You can come up and walk the dog anytime you want!!!!!!

zoom said...

I've gained seven pounds in the seven months since I quit smoking. I get plenty of exercise, but I read recently that exercise is way over-rated as a weight-loss tool. Diet is a much, much more powerful part of the equation. The article I read said to start with diet, and to look at your daily diet habits first, because those are your real culprits - occasional indulgences don't make you fat, but daily indulgences do. Once you've got the eating under control, you'll start to lose weight, and you can then accelerate that weight loss by adding in some exercise.

My problem is portion control - if I like something, I want to eat a whole bunch of it!

theresa said...

Good for you to state your goals! Believe me, gaining 10-15 lbs every year will result in a really big problem (literally). Especially if you ever get really domestic, pregnant, and home all day with kids and hear treats calling your name. It's a tough challenge, but you can do it!!
I want to check out that video samantha suggested...