Saturday, January 8, 2011

Adventures in Wonderland

Well Dave did have plans for us this weekend - and apparently they involved going outside to play in a blizzard.

Alright, to be honest, that wasn't quite his plans. He has some errands to run in the city, and when we left the house, it was a cold, but sunny winter day. Ten minutes down the highway, however, was a giant wall of snow.

We managed to survive it (stopping for lunch at a cute little bistro to wait some of it out) and by the time we got home, it was all over. All that remained was a peaceful, snow covered wonderland.

So I decided to throw the cats out in it.

Really, it's not as mean as it sounds - Tux has been yelling at me for weeks to let him go out. He snuck out once under Dave's feet a few days ago, but it was just cold - no snow. So I wanted to see what he thought of the wet, white stuff.Now, as many of you know, I don't know much about the first few years of Tux's life. I do know that he spent at least a year at the rescue - but other than that....

He might have been an outdoor cat - he may have seen lots of snow. It certainly didn't seem to bother him. He trotted around like he usually does, sniffed his favourite bush. Peed on it. Frolic up the side of the house to the backyard. It was all fun until he got to the backyard and spotted the Malamute that is visiting next door. Then he hightailed it back to the front door and was thoroughly finished with outside.

So, I decided to give Rocky a turn.
He came outside willingly enough, but as soon as his paws hit the cold stuff... it was time to play it safe. He wanted to stay out, but he crept along under the roses where it wasn't as deep. After a few minutes, he was pretty much finished, so inside to warmth and dinner we went.

And Peno?
Peno says "Outside??? Do I look stupid to you? Now, rub my belly, slave."

Despite all these adventures, I've made good progress on both the Big Cat hat, and my shawl. More details tomorrow.

8 comments:

lexa said...

LOL at the outdoor indoor cats! Pumba goes to the door sometimes, he's never been an outdoor cat, I've had him since he was 6 weeks old. I don't think he'd like the snow, though.

They keep changing our forecast. First they said snow tomorrow, them mostly rain for our area. Now it says snow again, but not as much as what they originally said. I guess we'll just have to wait til the morning and see what we get!

Minding My Own Stitches said...

Hurray Team Peno!

Monika said...

Beautiful outside photos! I love the snow! I'm so happy we've got some again.

pendie said...

I always think my white cat is white until he goes out into the snow. He thens looks a little dirty compared to the fresh white snow! He seems to not mind being out in it but does come in pretty fast

Anonymous said...

I miss snow!!!!!!

Your cats look like they made the best of it each in their own way.

Anonymous said...

Ed would totally approve of your rolly, happy cats! Your Tux and Rocky are very similar to two of our cats except our Tux is only about a year.

Samantha said...

Ha ha! Your cats have the best personalities!!

RobinH said...

Heh, Peno FTW! I can only imagine my two--the outside is terrifying even in good weather, I think they'd race each other to see who could hide under the bed fastest if we tried to let them out.