Sunday, May 29, 2016

More cats and flowers...

...because right now, that's all I have....

The little one...
Is warming up slow as molasses. But he is warming up. He's not keen on being picked up, but as soon as you set him down, he remembers that those hands give scratches and he's all for that. He even likes his belly rubbed.
I had a brief moment of worry that he wasn't litter-trained yet. (not terrible, but not something I was quite planning for, given his age). We had three accidents, but today he seems to have found the box and figured things out. (I got an extra one and put it upstairs, just in case)
We've managed a little bit of play, but like Peno, he seems unsure what he's suppose to do.( As far as I can tell, he was a stray until May 13th, when he was picked up by the shelter, so he hasn't had a lot of human interaction). After a few minutes, he figured it out, and we played until Dave got up to go to the kitchen. Then Ru was back up under the dresser. He's come down on his own a couple of times today, but I'm not allowed to look at him or speak to him, because he just runs right back up if I do.

When I'm not kitten-wrangling, I've been keeping an eye on the gardens. Today is my last day of vacation, so I'm trying to spend as much of it as I can in the yard.
 The poppy did not turn into a poppy monster, though it it a little wilty from the heat.
Both Delphinium plants are covered in these flower heads. It's going to put on quite a show when it does bloom.

Blue Girl is ready to pop, and Tournament, and Chicago Peace aren't far behind. Queen Elizabeth shouldn't take too long.
Surprisingly, Navy Lady is doing well too. I figured I'd lose her, because she wasn't looking good heading into winter. But she survived and now seems to be thriving. Even more surprisingly, I lost Mellow Yellow. She looked like she was coming back, but then just died off. I almost bought a beautiful peach rose to replace her, but in the end, I've decided to wait. I'm not sure if I want peach, or red, or white, or another yellow. What I need is more room... so I can have them all!

Out in the tree garden things are looking great
I picked up some Portulaca to add a little colour here and there...
But next year, I probably won't have to...
The ice plants I bought are perennials.. and if they winter well, next year I'll get some more.
 Because they are so pretty, and like the Sedums, require barely any care. And check this out...
These funky ground sedums, are not only growing nice and tall...
They appear as if they may bloom too! There's also some Stonecrop in there, but it probably won't bloom until fall. But for now, I want to enjoy every moment of summer.



4 comments:

gayle said...

I'll always have a soft spot for Portulaca. My grandmother always had at least one pot of it growing on her front porch - usually in an old metal dishpan that had a hole worn through it. (Recycling and repurposing are things she did before it was cool!)

Anonymous said...

Glad that Ru is settling in. I know he is happy to have a warm bed and plenty of food in his tummy (even IF his bum is a little bald right now).

The flower garden is so pretty and colorful.

Araignee said...

It does take a long time for those poor abandoned babies to catch on to life as a spoiled indoor kitty. Even after 5 years our Herbie spends most of his days in hiding. He lives life on his terms and I have to respect that. Just recently he's started to jump up and sleep on the furniture when I'm in the room which is a real breakthrough. When he's in the mood he is the sweetest kitty ever-just no sudden moves or he's gone.
Your flowers are amazing. I can't believe how much variety you've managed to pack into that space!

kathy b said...

Each moment of summer, is to be appreciated as you say!

Im on my porch. IF kitty has a few accidents, its ok . He's under a lot of stress. I know you'll give him lots of time to adjust.
I did find that Dr. Easley s litter attract totally helped retrain Tank after a bladder issue.