I did it!
For once I successfully resisted startitis! The green lace cardigan design is off the needles and on the blocking board! I will probably be a while before you see much of it. I've got an idea for a photoshoot, but it needs much milder weather. I also have to do the really hard part of designing... figuring out the changes for the different sizes and writing them all into the pattern.
Then I've got to get it off to some testers. So while you may see pics sometime in Spring, it will probably be end of summer before the pattern is released.
In the meantime... to reward myself for resisting, I started a new project!
Empire Line Cardigan by Debbie Bliss. It's probably one of the oldest patterns in my queue. I got the yarn (Rowan Cashsoft DK) in 2009, but I'm pretty sure I've had the pattern since 2007 or so.
Since it's on this year's "to knit" list, and it's already languished for so long, I figured the only way to get it done once and for all was to make it the next project.
Next to Okracoke, it's probably the most complex pattern on the list.
I have made one mod. The original pattern has faggoting between the horseshoe lace and the cables (YOs on right and wrong sides). To make it easier on myself, I changed that to an alternating eyelet. This way I can purl all the way on the wrong side rows. It's a nice little break from the complexity of the front.
As mentioned, I'm using Rowan Cashsoft DK. It's a blend of merino, acrylic and cashmere. It's crazy soft, and I got it on ebay crazy cheap. The colourway is poison, and it's a touch more red than the picture shows, but it's still nice and dark.
The pattern is knit in pieces - and while that's ideal for blocking, it's going to mean more finishing. And - it's long and flowy, and long-sleeved. I'm definitely in this one for the long haul!