Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Settling in

I wanted to thank everyone for their well wishes on the new job. Today was the second day and I'm pleased to say I'm settling in nicely.

Well actually, it's more like I've been thrown in the deep end with out a life preserver, but that's okay - I'm really more of a 'sink or swim' kinda girl. It helps that I've almost always come up swimming. And the people are great. It's a much smaller business than my last employer (only about 40 people on staff compared to 600) and the work culture is waaaaaaaay better. There's optimism, a true open door policy (unlike the fake one at my old job - "sure my door is open, but that's only because HR says it has to be - don't ever use it!") and management actually says "Thank you" when you stay late or go above and beyond.

However, one thing I will miss about the old job is the scenery. My old job was in a much older part of the city. There was fantastic scenery for my lunchtime walks, and a multitude of routes.
This place is in a semi-industrial business park on the outskirts of town. It's not old (they started building it when I was 10) it's not very pretty, and it's definitely not pedestrian friendly. However, it's paved and I can walk on it (as long as I keep an eye out for speeding semis) so it will do.

I was however, lamenting the fact that it would be highly unlikely to find any road treasures here. Then, as I rounded the corner today, I found one! And it's an awesome one!It's a road SWEATER! And it's my size!

It needs a good wash, but seriously, how cool is that? Rocky likes it too (it's 30 % wool!)And now the moment you've all been waiting for!!!!!

Mom put all that pretty Fluffy Cat in the shop!C'mon.... you know you want it......

11 comments:

Monika said...

Wow- you just have to look for road treasures, and you'll find one too! It's nice that you like your new job. The yarn looks great. I saw something I'd like. Hmmm. I just put together a box full of yarn for a friend in Greece, because she can't get any good wool yarn, only acrylics, and she loves to knit shawls, so I thought I'll go through my stash. Now I feel a need to full up the holes I've made.... :o)

Jeanne said...

I'm glad you are enjoying your new job - and how lucky you found a sweater for Rocky!

Gorgeous yarn too

lexa said...

That is quite the road find! Love the colors in the new yarn. :)

Amy & the house of cats said...

Ok, I am super far behind but I am glad that the new job is going well so far. I hate it when by the second day I realize I made the wrong job choice! And that pretty much happens every time. But if it is a good company with good people I am sure it will be a good place to work. Plus the road sweater has to be some sort of sign too!

Monika said...

O.K. it's me again. Just wanted to say how sad I am because Winter Wheat was my first choice, and it jumped right out of my shopping cart.

Samantha said...

I'm glad the job is going well. That part of town is gross. How's the commute?

The road sweater is kinda creepy.

Lee said...

Wonderful that you are enjoying your new job! I love the yarn.

Knitting Linguist said...

Oh, I'm so glad that the new job is going well! Finding a road sweater in your size is the perfect sign :)

TheBlackSheep said...

I hope the new job continues on as it started! It sounds great, despite the lack of scenery. I'd take a good job over a good view any day. The big question is, how do they all stand on knitting?

I really like that dusty blue fluffy cat. If it's still there this evening, I may make it mine.

Kiki said...

I think that sweater is Rocky's now...love the colours of yarn! Glad to hear the job is going well! I always find if the people are nice and you get along with them it makes it so much easier no matter what the job is!

Minding My Own Stitches said...

Nice to hear things are working out well at the new job!