Saturday, July 3, 2010

Enforced downtime

It's been a pretty lazy few days... but not by choice.

My back has decided that I've been far too busy lately, and has enforced a little downtime.

So, I've spent much of my time in bed, while Dave has been busy hunting radio active zombies and taking frequent breaks to make sure I'm well watered and fed.

But the good news is I have some great company...


(when he's not eating the patterns) ... as well as a hobby that I can do laying down.

I decided I should make good use of the time to tackle that pile of socks needing mates. So I got a few rows done on my Glow Bug socks, and then I got a little sidetracked.

You see, I have some yummy yarn that's been calling to me despite the fact that I buried it in the studio....

But there are several new projects on Ravelry using our lovely Fluffy Cat, and that has kept it foremost in my mind.

So I dug out my two skeins in Teddy Bear and cast on.

Well actually I cast on several times. I cast on for Haruni, Luna Moth, Melusine, and host of others, but none of them seemed right. Oh they are lovely shawls, but just not quite what I wanted. I considered casting on for another Zetor, but I've still got the Starry Zetor on the needles.

So I hoped on Ravelry and pulled up my favourites, hoping to find just the right pattern.

And I did - in the Red Dragon shawl. You may remember that I had intended to make this pattern with my Sea Silk. But the Sea Silk ended up becoming a Frozen Leaves shawl.

And I do love the look of the Red Dragon shawl. So I thought, "What the heck, I've cast on for just about everything else, lets give this a whirl."

Several hours later, I'm about 30% of the way - several inches further than the picture shows and into the second chart.

It's going well, but I do have to say that this is one of the hardest lace patterns I've ever done. It's not complicated, and the stitches aren't difficult to execute, it just doesn't have a rhythm - like Frozen Leaves or Daenerys - with this you have to pay attention to every stitch. But I think it's going to be worth it.

I'm hoping to get through all the repeats of Chart 2 tomorrow, and then I can take my time with the edging. I will probably end up wearing this to my brother's wedding instead of the Angora Daenerys I started a few days ago.

If you're interested in making your own Fluffy Cat shawl there are some great new colourways that will be going up in the shop tomorrow afternoon. You'll also find some Top Cat and Alley Cat both of which make beautiful shawls (and socks)

This update include all of that beautiful yarn we had hanging on the laundry line the other day. Stop by tomorrow and let us know what you think!

5 comments:

Minding My Own Stitches said...

Sorry to hear about your back. I used to have that trouble, but I found a prescription that works for me. I call them my magic pills.

The Teddy Bear colourway is so pretty!

bittenbyknittin said...

Hate those back problems! I've gone through physical therapy, and now do yoga and get a monthly deep tissue massage, but I *still* have to be careful when I sneeze. BUT enforced rest is a great excuse to knit, knit, knit. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Hope you are feeling better soon.

Knatolee said...

That's one relaxed and happy kitty!

Frieda said...

Sorry to hear that your back continues to bother you . Hope that a little R&R will do the trick .

Groan , did you have to point me to another beautiful shawl pattern ! Can't wait to see yours , looks gorgeous so far .