Saturday, May 9, 2015

The most wonderful time of the year

Yup... planting season!
As you can tell by this picture, it's a busy weekend here at Chez Wandering Cat. I'm going to break all the goings on up into multiple posts... but suffice it to say, I'm having a heck of a lot of fun!

In this post, I'm going to share the new garden.
I meant to take a picture before I laid down the top soil - but I forgot. This new garden lays along the side of the house, kitty-corner to the front garden. I was just a patch of bare land - no grass growing at all. I think the old tenants use to keep their garbage cans and such there.  I broke up the top of it and threw down a couple of bags of my favourite black earth. Then I got to planting.

I planted the Gladiolus, Black Lilies and Blazing Star bulbs I bought a few weeks back.  Then I added a few things I purlioned from Mom and Dad's gardens...

Some Lily of the Valley...
 And some purple irises

Can you believe I couldn't find any irises at the local garden centers? Thank goodness Mom has some she was willing to share.

I also planted some peonies, though it's hard to say how they will do. Dad's peonies have really deep roots and it was tough to break some out.

With everything planted (and a few lake rocks later)....
It looks like a real garden! A little spare, but it should fill out nicely when the bulbs sprout. Of course, Mr. Squirrel was hanging out on the fence watching me... so I'm sure a few will go missing.

Next up - the back yard! Stay tuned.

4 comments:

Araignee said...

I love irises. Mom had some gorgeous purple ones. I wish I had sun.....sigh.

Anonymous said...

Oh that mean Mr. Squirrel. He needs to leave your bulbs ALONE!

There are plenty of old buried acorns, I'm sure.

Minding My Own Stitches said...

Careful with the Lily of the Valley - it'll take over! I get my garden soil from No Frills. It's a combination of black earth and compost, and they had it on for $1 per 20 litre bag! Bargain!

I've jumped the gun a bit with the planting too. I picked up some trailing wave petunias for my front porch wall planters. Next weekend my sister and I are headed to Harper's in Ancaster. Can't wait!

Rachelle said...

Ooh, I love Lily of the Valley, such a nice scent from the flowers.