Wednesday, May 23, 2018

A little bun-venture

Those who know me, know that I am very torn about Relic being a free-range kitty. It's partly because I worry about his own safety, and partly because I know cats can be very hard on the local wildlife.

With Relic, it seemed we had lucked out in that respect. Several times I've seen him sleeping in the patio chair while the birds were at the feeder about three feet away. He never pays them any mind. And he seemed oblivious to the squirrels and occasional bun that came by.

But things changed on Monday. I'd just finished a long day of gardening (more on that later), and was in the house taking a break when I saw Relic strutting up to the back door.  And he was  carrying something....

I knew immediately it was too big to be a mouse. As he got a little closer, my heart sank.

I yelled out "Relic! You JERK! WHAT DID YOU DO???"

He immediately dropped it and came running to me... extremely unrepentant. One might even say proud. I ran to the poor creature and scooped it up.
A wee baby bun. By this time, Dave, who'd heard me yelling at Relic, came to investigate. "Is it dead?" he asked.

"It's still warm, but I think so," I replied. The little thing was so soft, but lifeless in my hands. I sat down in the chair, and stroked it, trying to figure out what I was going to do with it. I didn't want to leave it for Relic or another creature to eat.

Suddenly it gave a little gasp.  Did I imagine it? Was it just the last little bit of air leaving it's lungs. A few seconds later, another gasp....

Then it's wee little nose twitched...

Then the ears...

I searched all over his body and there were no puncture marks. Just a couple wet spots around his scruff where Relic had picked him up.

Then.... "Dave, I can feel his heart beating!!"

Dave went to get a box to put him in, and buy the time he got back, little baby bun was completely back from the dead and trying to hop out of my hands.
Once safely in the box, I gathered up some dandelion and clover for the wee guy to munch on while Dave got Relic in the house.

When Dave came back out, he took one look at my face and said "You know we can't keep him..."

I did know it... but the little guy was just so cute.
Luckily, a bun that size is already out of the nest and on its own. By releasing him, he had just as much chance as if Relic never found him. And it really was best for bun that I let him go...

..so reluctantly,  I set him free. And hopefully he can live a happy little fulfilling bunny life.

Bye-bye baby bun! Fare thee well!


11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you were able to rescue him.

pdxknitterati/MicheleLB said...

Oh, cute! I hope it hops far away, where Relic won’t be on guard duty.

Bridget said...

Phew! I was trying to decide whether or not to keep reading ... but I'm glad I did. Good luck, little bunny! xo

Vera said...

Ahhh, so sweet! A number of years ago we rescued several baby bunnies from our cat Maestro and her brother (our neighbor's cat) Ike. None of them ever had punctures...just wet fur like yours. It's interesting...mice, moles and voles are always punctured immediately.

Eastside Cats said...

Bun bun, you are lucky that Relic just wanted you as a pet!

Judy S. said...

Around here free-range cats are easy prey for coyotes. Raccoons can do real damage to cats and dogs here as well; so our cat stays inside. Glad the bunny revived and you let it go even though it will probably grow up to eat your garden plants.

chrisknits said...

Oh, so sweet! I would love to have a bunny, but I fear the dogs would think it a play toy. They wouldn't be mean, but would definitely chase it.

kathy b said...

BUNNY SAVER!!!!!! How wonderful. !!!! You are amazing. A cat's a cat and thats that!

Delighted Hands said...

Awwww! I think he is just too cute and I know that you had to let him go.
Reluctantly. I'm so glad he was just playing dead!

Tired Teacher said...

I'm glad the bunny is back in the wild with a good story to tell.

My neighborhood used to have lots of bunnies until a family moved in with four cats that are definitely free range. No more bunnies and clearly fewer birds.

bittenbyknittin said...

Lucky bunny! My indoor-outdoor cat Finn used to be a stray, so his hunting instincts are not only honed but he eats what he catches. And yes, he is quite proud of himself when he fulfills his genetic destiny.