Sunday, May 27, 2018

Gotcha Ru-Ru

It certainly doesn't feel like it, but it's been two years since we brought our favourite Ginger Nut home.
That's how he looked when he first arrived and he clearly wasn't amused. He was eight months old and those eight months must have been pretty traumatic for him, because he was not at all thrilled with the prospect of human contact. But little by little he warmed up to us, and has become more relaxed and trusting.
But he definitely remains my little Enigma Cat. Dave says he's just bi-polar. One minute he can be sweet and loving, the next he wants nothing to do with you.
He's also the most jealous cat I've ever met. The easiest way to get Rupert's attention is to pet another cat where he can see you.
Then he's right in there like a dirty sock, looking for his share of loving. He gets along well with both Peno and Burton
But his relationship with Relic is still rocky. Though I often find them sleeping close together...
...Rupert still has to grump at Relic every time they make eye contact. He's definitely a little cat (6lbs  6 oz) with a BIG attitude.
He is an absolute sun worshipper - if there's a sunbeam, he's in it. Sometimes I wonder if it's because of his small size. Maybe he just can't generate enough body heat on his own. He certainly seeks out cuddles much more in the colder months. I think he's just using us for warmth.
And though he frequently looks like Mr. Serious, he's definitely go a playful side. He's obsessed with the red dot - if I so much as jiggle the tin we keep it in, he'll appear from out of no where.And every night between 10 pm and midnight, Ginger Nuts mode kicks in and he starts zooming from one end of the house to the other. He especially loves it when the Fluffer Nutter (Burton) joins him.
While I don't think I'll ever really understand him, I'm happy to have him as part of our home, because he's just so much fun to try to figure out.

10 comments:

Araignee said...

I can't believe it's been two years. Time does fly. He must have been feral at some point. His behavior patterns are just like our Herbie who I rescued as a kitten from our feral pack when the other grown males tried to kill him. The poor little baby was one big abscess when I caught him in a net and brought him inside for good. I can't believe he lived. Now he is bigger than all of them and could kick their butts if he wanted to.

Mereknits said...

Can you ever really understand any cat? They are mysterious creatures while dogs are just in your face and you know exactly what they are thinking. Your cats are beautiful.

Tired Teacher said...

Great post!

Vera said...

What a sweetie. He's a cat for sure...one minute affectionate and the next aloof.

bittenbyknittin said...

I have an ADHD cat. Like your guy, Beau didn't want to be touched, plus he never slept as a kitten. It took a year or so before he would spend 30 seconds in my lap. He's been here 3 years - hard to believe! - and still is quite the troublemaker. But he does want his lap time now. His current trick is to race ahead of me and throw himself on the floor, in anticipation of a back rub with my foot.

Patty said...

Can't believe it's two years already! Maybe he is just trying to be a guy with mystery! Love his fur colors and his eyes are mesmerizing.

Delighted Hands said...

How we love our cats, right?! Rupert is a beauty and I like complicated cats-they have the best attitudes!

Anonymous said...

I didn't realize he was THAT small. Giroux is 8.25 pounds and I thought THAT was small.

Happy Gotcha day to your little independent boy.

pdxknitterati/MicheleLB said...

Using you for your warmth? All winter long, I ask Biscuit: Do you like me? Or are you using me for my warmth?

It’s the age old question with cats.

Happy Gotcha Day!

Eastside Cats said...

Happy Gotcha Day, Rupert!