Monday, March 7, 2016

FO: Sport weight man socks

True to my word... they are done!

In between checking on Rocky and his (lack of) bowel movements, I managed to close the toe just before bedtime on Saturday.

The yarn is Online Supersocke 6-Ply. A while ago, Mom got a couple balls of it at a crazy deep discount. She's always on the look out for nice man-yarns she can put through her sock machine. (Since men tend to have big feet, and like vanilla socks, the sock machine is the perfect thing to crank them out quickly). Unfortunately, she didn't realize it was 6 ply (sport-weight) until it came in the mail. So they came home with me. (I have another ball earmarked for Dave socks.)

It's not the softest yarn, but it's certainly going to be hard-wearing, and warm - perfect for the Farm Boy to whom this pair is going.

No pattern for this one. I used a 2.75mm, cast on 60 stitches, and user basic sock math.

Looking back at my Ravelry page, I started these waaaaaaay back in August. Eight months to finish a pair of socks? For me, that's just ridiculous - it's usually two tops. (We're not going to mention the Sagittarius socks that are coming up on a year since I started them...). I really need to get my act together.

And while it does feel good to have these complete... I can't say it's really kick-started my engine. I guess I'll go finish Mirabel. And I should probably cast on that second Sagittarius sock....

7 comments:

Araignee said...

Those are really nice. I love those colors and the way the stripes are working. They are certainly not your average boring man socks,

Anonymous said...

They look great!

I've used that yarn. Those socks went to my sister up north. She can use warm socks much more often than I.

Hope Rocky is feeling better.

Minding My Own Stitches said...

They look very nice, and I'm sure the "farm boy" will get good wear from them. Sorry you haven't found your knitting mojo yet, but at least you're being productive with your time and finishing up old WIPs!

kathy b said...

Great man socks! Keep finishing things and you will be fine. The MOJO will return. Remember it is supposed to be FUN

Unknown said...

I am in a all engines firing on full speed right now and just praying something doesn't happen to bring it all to a screeching halt. I am half afraid a bad pairing of yarn and pattern will do the trick so I am carefully planning my future projects. Glad to hear the boy's OK.

elns said...

Funny, I'm in a bit of a sock rut too. I'm hoping to knit my way out of it, hardy har har. I was just wearing my sport weight knit socks last night, They are toasty and they make me happy. I am sure yours will bring great joy to. Happy knitting to you, whatever it is.

Rachelle said...

I'm taking part in Sock Madness for the first time ever so I've just finished the first sock of a pair in just on a week (toe and heel took several goes before I got them right) and am 15 rows into the foot of the second one, they're toe up. I'm really hoping to get the second one done in time, not expecting to get too far in the actual comp, but it would be nice to at least get into a team.
I get several days after this one which should be just right to finish a certain shawl and maybe youngest's socks as well.