Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Germinating

Despite the mild weather, it's still waaaaaaaaaaaaay too early to much in the garden. But that doesn't mean I'm not out there, poking around every day.
The Creeping Baby's Breath is starting to green up
As is the Pink Fairy Baby's Breath. I've moved both these plants where they will get more sun, so they should do excellent this year.
I'm hoping the same hold true for the Columbine. I started it from seed three years ago, and while it's grown, it's never bloomed. The poor plants keep getting blocked by other things and never get enough sun. But hopefully we've got all that sorted.

And I got a bit of a surprise this week. I forgot to plant garlic in the fall, but I was planning on moving the food garden anyway, so I wasn't too worried about it. But then I was checking on my strawberries and...
some of the garlic I planted in the spring must have taken it's time and decided to finally take root. There's at least two of these little sprouts. I'm still going to move the food garden, but I think I'll leave the garlic where it is.... at least for this year.
In around them there will be...

 Sunflowers, big and small
Some milkweed for the butterflies
 and some Japanese lanterns and Johnny Jump-Ups... two plants that instantly take me back to my childhood.

I'm also going to attempt Nasturtiums and Sweet Peas again.

With Dave gone, I'll be turning Grandma's table into a little plant nursery this week. I might not be able to plant outside, but there will be lots of fun going on indoors.



4 comments:

Araignee said...

I love when the seeds show up in the stores. Such promise of a beautiful summer!

kathy b said...

Probably the only thing I want to plant is milkweed for the butterflies. I love your orange varieties!!! Fun to see some green shoots emerging from a long winter

Monika said...

I LOVE the red sunflowers! Hope they will grow well for us to see later this year.

elns said...

If I remember correctly, you are a sunflower lady :) They do really seem like living sunshine when they bloom. I love the close up detail photos, they make me feel like I'm in the backyard poking around with you too.