Saturday, December 2, 2017

Going squirrely

The other day, when I took pictures of the boot socks, it was sunny, and pretty mild for the end of November. Relic, of course, was already outside (can't keep an outdoor cat in!), but I decided it was warm enough  for the rest of the crew to enjoy a little fresh air.

It wasn't until I got Burton in his harness, and I was trying to  wrangle his wiggly body so I could get him on his leash, that I noticed a little problem...
The tree is at the very back of the property and as you can see, contained not one, but two frolicking black squirrels.

Burton saw them right away.
And they saw him. They immediately froze. As I sat and watched, I wondered what was going through their little squirrley brains as they noticed not one...
 Not two...
But four! squirrel-eating  monsters just a few dozen feet from their tree. Ok, admittedly, one of them (Peno) has very little interest in chasing squirrels (she's far too old for that crap), so it's really only three.

Eventually Rupert lost interest and found a patch of grass to munch on. Relic soon followed suit, but  he can chase squirrels any time he wants (and I have seen him do so).

The only one who remained focused was Burton. And I'm not sure if he wants to chase them... or be one of them. He certainly has the tail for it!


7 comments:

Smudge said...

What an awesome photo of Burton all up in that pail! Orbit, the old guy who came before me, used to sit in the window (I hear) and make funny chomping noises whenever he saw a tender morsel outside the window flitting or flying around. Have a great weekend!

The Well Fed Wheel said...

Those squirrels are definately out numbered. I haven't seen a single squirrel since I moved here. I use to see them all the time up north. They were terrors on my bird feeders.

Delighted Hands said...

Too funny! It had to be a nice romp for all of them!
We have one cat who is a squirrel hunter-and she does a good job of it!

chrisknits said...

I just love seeing photos of your crew. They are adorable!

Araignee said...

Burton is just the most amazing looking kitty!

kathy b said...

I just love his tail!!! omg. And I love seeing all your cats and how different they all behave! Gotta love a cat's thoughts. THey are so different cat to cat!

Mereknits said...

Such a fun post. My Max used to have an ongoing feud with a squirrel who would run across the top of our pool screen.