Sunday, December 10, 2017

Worry -Burt

One of my pets names for Burton is Burty-Burt. But this past week, it's been Worry Burt.

All seemed well after the neuter surgery, and as you know, by Monday he was back to his normal, silly, naughty self.

But Thursday, things changed. Actually it was Wednesday night when I first notice, but I told myself I was probably imagining things. It wasn't until Thursday morning, when Dave - who never worries about the cats like I do - said "Is it just me, or is Burton a little lazier than normal?", that I really started paying attention.

And it was true, while not completely lethargic, he definitely wasn't full of his usual spunk. Then he threw up. Just bile. And then it clicked in that he hadn't eaten breakfast with the others. So I spent most of Thursday watching his every move. He was still perky and alert, and would come when called. But he wouldn't play fetch, or chase Rupert or Relic. He was using the litter box fine. And he was drinking water. But he wouldn't eat anything. Not his cat food, not treats,  I couldn't even tempt with some of the roast chicken I had for dinner. He came to bed with us that night as usual, but he didn't keep us up by playing in the curtains, or chasing Dave's feet under the blankets.

And Friday morning, he continued to refuse food of any kind. I called the vet and made and appointment for the next morning.

So Saturday morning, he trotted into the carrier like the good little boy he is, and we were off again on a car ride. If he suffered any trauma from his previous trip, it didn't show. In fact, he fell asleep halfway to the vet's office.

The vet could find no obvious reason for him to stop eating. His incision was healing nicely, there were no issues with his teeth, he had no fever. Other than being a little dehydrated (not surprising), he seemed perfectly healthy. She said it could possibly be a side effect of the vaccinations he received.

She gave him some subcutaneous fluids for the dehydration, an appetite stimulant, and some special food to entice him to eat and sent us home with instructions that if didn't eat on his own, I had to feed him by syringe. And if nothing improved by Monday, he'd have to come back for bloodwork and further diagnostic.
 
 I bought him a new stuffie to cheer him and we came home. At first he turned his nose up at the new food too. So I gave him some time to rest, then mixed up a slurry of food and water and managed to get one syring in him before he let me know in no uncertain terms, he wasn't going to put up with that!

I decided to give him another break, and not long after, he went to dish on his own and started eating. It wasn't much, but it was huge progress. Then a little while later, he did it again.Then again even later. Then next thing I new, he was in the kitchen eating his regular food.

So hears hoping it sticks, even after the appetite stimulant wears off.

9 comments:

Bridget said...

Give that boy an extra kiss from me! Everyone here will send him healing thoughts and prayers.

Araignee said...

Oh, wow.....what a worry. Happy to hear he's on the mend.

Deb said...

Hope he gets better. Nothing's scarier than a pet that doesn't feel well.

Shirley said...

Poor Burton! Hope he continues to eat and feel better. Several months ago, one of my cats had her annual checkup and booster shots. I did not notice that she was not eating until the next day. Fortunately, she started eating within about 24 hours of the vaccinations. When I had called the vet to inquire if not eating could be a side effect, I was told that it did happen occasionally. It's rather scary though and I will be saying a prayer for Burton.

chrisknits said...

Drat! I thought for sure Rupert would be a prize option! Oh well, must content myself with dogs. Love the cowl!!! It is adorable. And hope Burton is back to his old self. I agree with Relic, sun beams are the best!

Anonymous said...

Hope by now Mr. Burt is slurping down his usual food and feeling feisty again.

He certainly is a handsome boy.

(Giroux had his shots last week and he was VERY, VERY whiny for the next few days. I'm thinking these shots make them feel pretty yucky.)

Delighted Hands said...

No sick kitties! I'm sorry; here's hoping he is doing fine and this was just a memory!
snuggle him extra...

Eastside Cats said...

Here's hoping that Burton is eating up everything in sight now!

Mereknits said...

Poor Burt, poor you worrying. I hope he is well by now.