Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Growing pains

It was a quiet afternoon workwise yesterday, and since my home office doubles as my sewing room, I decided to use some of the extra time and tackle some of the sashing on the Woodland Ballet quilt.

I wanted to do at least one scrappy border, and use as much of the leftovers from the paw blocks as possible. But that required a little math.  I did some measuring, some quick calculations in my  head, and got cutting.
The top and bottom borders went together beautifully. I thought I was really on a roll when it turns out I had cut just the right amount to complete the side borders as well. Things couldn't be more perfect, until I laid those side borders alongside the centre for pinning...
It seems my math was a little bit off. I knew things were going far too well! I've got a fairly easy way to fix it, but it means unpicking the seams on the top and bottom borders, and I just wasn't up to that, so I decided to put it away for another day.
Of course, I had to extract a couple cats first. As you can see, the scrappy border (once complete) will will make it much closer to its finished size. Just one or two solid borders after that, and this top will be ready for sandwiching!

11 comments:

Araignee said...

I love that pieced border in spite of it being naughty. I have had that happen many a time I am sad to say. So many times that I just expect it anymore.

Vera said...

That will be so pretty...if the cats ever let you finish - lol

Tired Teacher said...

Few things are more frustrating than a border that doesn't fit. I hope you can find an easy solution.

kathy b said...

Well whats a quilt without some cats?

Anonymous said...

the cats have proclaimed it COMFORTABLE!

Eastside Cats said...

I cannot trust my mental math...I write it down or whip out a calculator!

elns said...

math, quilts and cats. I like 2/3. LOL I love how that instantly take over your work project spaces, both knitting and quilting!

That is something I do like about having multiple projects going, is the ability to set one aside when it's making you slightly bonkers, still be creative and come back with fresh eyes.

chrisknits said...

That has happened too many times to count!! But it's a good thing unsewing is only a little more trouble than unknitting. You will be back on track in no time.

Delighted Hands said...

Stellar job on the border-the cats just set it off! lol

Mereknits said...

It is just wonderful. I can see why the cats like it so much!

gayle said...

I always hold my breath when adding pieced borders... (Sometimes they even fit!)
Looks like the cats love the quilt you're making for them. 8)