Tuesday, December 22, 2015

I have a confession to make...

..... I haven't decorated for Christmas this year. And I'm not going to.

I'm not against Christmas, and while my spirit isn't quite as high as it could be, I am still looking forward to the festivities. I will be making some Christmas sweets (have to have some mince meat pie!), but the only concession I've made to decorating is to light a Christmas Spice candle
It smells like cinnamon and vanilla and that's about as Christmasy as its going to get around here this year.

Why? I just don't have the energy for it. For the last few months, I've been feeling off. Not sick, not upset... but something just hasn't been right.

It took me a while to pinpoint what was wrong. There's been a lot going on - Dave's been in a bit of a transition with his job. My work is deadline driven, so by its nature it's stressful. And there's been a lot going on in the background family-wise.

And it wasn't until I read a post by Alisha at Sharing Slices of my Life that it clicked. I was feeling overwhelmed.

I've been feeling the need to simplify.

While I can't do much about our work situations, and the family stuff is also out of the sphere of our control, I can simplify things on the home front.

There's study after study that shows that clutter creates anxiety. It's not secret that I'm a bit of a clutterbug. When it comes to keeping the house tidy, I feel like I'm constantly behind the eightball.

So instead of decorating I'm leaving it all packed away this year. And in the true spirit of Boxing Day, the day after Christmas, when Dave leaves for his annual "alone time" at the cottage, I'm going to start going through all our stuff.

Even my clothes. And my shoes! Housewares, books, knicknacks.... all of it. If I don't love it, wear it, need it -it's gone. Our city has started to welcome refugees from Syria and one of the local charities is collecting clothing and household items for them. The timing couldn't be better.

And hopefully the new year will start lighter, fresher....and simpler.

8 comments:

elns said...

I'm so grateful for this post. I get it. I've decorated and I've found some spirit, but I get it and I fully endorse doing whatever the heck you want with your holidays, because they are in fact yours. It's best to feel the best you can and if you're capable of making that happen without harming anyone else, have at it, I say.

I too have been feeling overwhelmed. I too am thinking I need to get myself decluttering. I just keep looking for time.

I'm cheering you on.

Araignee said...

Yay for you. I was tempted to let it all go myself this year because I cried myself silly while going through the motions. I did simplify. Most of my crap is still in the boxes. I did what I wanted and no more. It's time for a new normal when it comes to the holidays-in fact, that's my post for tomorrow.
Hugs from the south.....

kathy b said...

Sounds perfect for you! Each to his own and this sounds wise and free ing. You will feel great de cluttering!! I took out about half the Christmas stuff this year. That's enough!

Unknown said...

Good for you. And won't that feel good to go through things and simplify!! I plan on doing the same after the holidays.

Judy S. said...

Good plan! We discovered that Christmas is just as fun without all the decorations a couple of years ago, and it makes for a much more relaxing holiday. We only get a few things out, and it's perfect. (for us at least) Merry Christmas!

Rachelle said...

Our decorating this year is the tree, that's it. I've also downsized my stuff and it does feel better; though I should still probably reduce my yarn, hang on, I'm going too far there. Will keep the yarn, downsize clothing perhaps once I see what I'm wearing in a few months.
Merry Christmas my friend and may the new year bring you peace and happiness.

RobinH said...

For some years now, I only decorate if we're hosting my family Christmas celebration. Which we're not, so no decorating here either. Result- shopping is done and everything is wrapped. Cookies are baked and in the freezer. Tonight I'll frost some cookies and assemble plates for various people, and bake a pie. I enjoy Christmas a lot more when I'm not rushed.

Alisha said...

I am so happy for you. I guarantee you will not look back and in fact will wonder what the heck, why did I wait so long! Good luck on your quest for simplicity xx