Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Salvage mission


Remember this cardigan?
 I knew early on in the knitting that it wouldn't suit me... but it would suit someone on my Christmas list, so I finished it up.

Unfortunately, when I soaked and blocked it, the dye ran so bad, that it "pooled" on the edges where it was folded while blocking
See that dark line down the arm... yeah, that's excess dye. So.. with nothing to lose, I threw it in the washer (you should see how much more dye came out - good thing I washed it with old towel!) and the dryer (on a lower setting). Being cotton, it should have come through just fine...

.... but of course, something had to happen. It looked okay coming our of the dryer, but when I put it on...

... the sleeves were suddenly a lot shorter! The body shrunk a touch, but nearly as much as the sleeves! And it just didn't look right with 3/4 so....
...the cast off came out and I'm knitting away again. I'm knitting extra long, because it will need another wash to even out the old knitting vs the new (colour and tension). Thank goodness I got the bulk of my Christmas knitting done early!

6 comments:

Araignee said...

Whoa....that's a scary adventure you're having. When yarn misbehaves it's definitely no fun. I do love that cardi though.

kathy b said...

Oh But it will be so lovely when it's redone. You have so much patience. I'd have given up long ago

Unknown said...

Oh wow, I'd be bummed. Good thing you are such an experienced knitter and know just what to do!!

Anonymous said...

You have an amazing amount of patience (and talent) to take all this on.


The sweater is a lovely color, in spite of the running dye.

elns said...

I am basically here to say what Dee has said, because I would've lost my sh*t and threw it in the trash and then whined incessantly about the bleeding cardigan of 2015 till the end of my knitting days.

Your knitting skills and patience know no bounds. Always impressed.

Judy S. said...

Wow, you are amazing to stick with it. I'd have put it in permanent time out!