Saturday, September 24, 2016

It's fall....

.... but this is not quite what I had in mind....
Friday morning Dave and I awoke to the sound of rain and chainsaws. I'd forgotten that a neighbour told me they were going to be removing 22 trees in our complex (probably about a third of the trees). I don't know the reason, but I'm guessing they weren't in great shape. And sad as it is to see them go, it's better than letting them fall on their own.
The street certainly looked different when they were through. Every one of those lawns had a tree. Luckily, it looks like we get to keep ours.

While being serenaded by chainsaw and wood chippers,  I spent a good chunk of the day contemplating a new fall project.
I've settled on designing a pair of boot toppers for the green leather boots I got this spring. I ordered them online, and when I got them I discovered they were just a touch too narrow in the calf. I can get them zipped up all but one last inch. They are leather, so they will stretch eventually, but until they do, boot toppers will provide a nice bit of camouflage.
The yarn is a skein of Alley Cat I stole from the dye studio a few months back. I'm pretty sure it was one of Mom's but we have a hard time keeping track nowadays. It's a nice mix of muted green that match the boots perfectly.

I'm thinking of some sort of lacy leaf motif... because... what else?

6 comments:

Delighted Hands said...

Love to see how your mind rolls when you design...yarn AND boots are gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful yarn --- yes, leaves will suit that yarn perfectly.

Sorry you are losing so many beautiful trees, but you are right. Better that they not come down on someone's home.

kathy b said...

What else is right! I always have trouble with my calves and boots. ALWAYS. So I dont wear them :(
I love your yarn choice and your solution! Lets SEE

Araignee said...

I hate to see trees cut down but I know it's necessary sometimes. We have about ten I wish would just disappear.
Love the boot topper idea!

Judy S. said...

What a great idea, and such pretty yarn. Hope you share the pattern.

Unknown said...

Love all the kitty pics, boo on the stray having an owner, yeah, he will likely still come to visit. LOL. Love the boots!!! And the yarn will be gorgeous as toppers.