Thursday, September 28, 2017

Back to normal

The heat wave has finally broke and we are now back to more  normal temps! That means I can finally get back in the garden, start my fall clean up (leaves EVERYWHERE!) and start prepping things for winter.
I noticed the other day that the Toad Lilies are getting ready to bloom. I'm kicking myself for not getting more of these this year. Last year, I only got one bloom REALLY late in the fall, so I figured they were a bit of a bust. They are really small, and I thought, what's the point? But I should know better, not that they are more established, each plant has several buds. They still won't be super showy, but they could be in the right number. I'll have to add it to next Spring's "to-do" list.
 The Sedum is fully bloomed and as turned a gorgeous dark pink. Such a fall beauty.
I didn't think we'd see blooms on the Strawberry Mango Smoothly coneflower this year... but look at that. It's suppose to be spindly flower with a mix of red and gold.... we'll have to wait and see just how it turns
I grabbed another pot of Mums for the front step. I just love them. We get them at Easter too, but they will always be a fall flower to me!
And I'm trying an experiment with this little mini rose. When I was a teen, I had a boyfriend who's grandmother's yard was full of mini roses. Like me, she could never keep them alive indoors, but she said she planted them in the garden and they thrived. This one was so pretty and only $5... I figured it's worth a try. There should be enough time before the first frost for it to establish decent roots.

Any fall additions in your gardens?


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not for me this year, but there is HOPE for next year!!!

That rose certainly has a unique coloring. So pretty!

Eastside Cats said...

I have a mini-rose in the house, that's grown long and spindly...I keep forgetting to plant it outside! :::looking for sticky-note::: Maybe I can remember if I write a note, and plant it this weekend.

Araignee said...

Oh, that little rose is so pretty! No additions this year. I learned my lesson with those pretty pots of mums you see everywhere right now. In about a week they turn brown and wither away. I have only one that is still alive. It's blooming but very leggy from lack of sun, poor sad thing.

Delighted Hands said...

I'm so ready for a whole truckload of Fall flowers out front now that the weather will turn and as soon as the summer swelter eases up!!!!! Color, color, color! I need color!
This rose is gorgeous!!! Worth a try in a big pot-don't disturb the roots is the trick!

kathy b said...

OKay, I Love the mini rose idea. I'm taking it on!

I did put a mini out after my mom passed. Someone gave it to me and I think it is meant for indoors, but really?
It is so dry here right now , but oddly the clematis is going crazy. FINALLY.