Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Exciting day

It's been one heck of a day.

Lets start with the most exciting news:
This Friday we'll be introducing a new member to the WCY litter....."Barn Cat". This base is similar to our newly introduced House Cat, which is a 100% Superwash fingering. But the Barn Cat has a little s nylon added. It's an 80/20% Merino/Nylon Superwash fingering weight yarn with the same 2 ply twist as the House Cat.

Why "Barn Cat"? Because it's a little tougher than our House Cat, and more twisted than our "Alley Cat".

Here's a preview of some of the colours that will be going up on Friday.The second bit of exciting news is I got to experience my first earthquake today!

Apparently the epicentre was north of Ottawa, which is a good eight hour (or more) drive from where I was, but we still felt it. According to the news reports I read, it was about 5.5 on the Richter scale. It lasted about 15 seconds and was like a gentle rolling (at least where I was - others have different accounts) and all in all it was pretty darn neat!

There a couple of fault lines that run through the region, and quakes are actually pretty common, but they are usually so small we don't notice them, so it was quite the event.

The last bit of news is about the leaf stole:

It's in a time out.

I spent last night knitting and ripping and knitting and ripping the third chart. It's now in a corner thinking about what it's done while I redesign the chart.

I will probably go back to it on the weekend when I have more time to devote to it.

In the mean time, I pulled out some left over Fat Cat (colour is Kaia) and cast on for another Nessie for my fleet.
I can't go much further on this until I get some eyes (I don't have any the right size) but it was a nice semi-mindless knit for the evening.

Now, I've had too much excitement for one day - so it's off to bed for me!

4 comments:

lexa said...

I saw on the news about the earthquake. One thing I saw said earthquakes that can actually be felt basically happen every 12-15 years in that area. Pretty strange, though. Not used to hearing about that stuff in Canada!

Frieda said...

We felt that earthquake too . It was just a rumbling and shaking here , we've felt stronger ones in the past .

Love that new yarn , there's a couple of colours that really catch my eye .

zoom said...

It was my third earthquake, and definitely the strongest. (I'm in Ottawa.) And that yarn sounds wonderful - I love the rationale for naming it Barn Cat.

Minding My Own Stitches said...

Sometimes a time out is a really good idea. Great ideas often need some percolating time.

This is our second earthquake in the ten years in our house. The first one was shortly after we moved in, and boy were there lots of nail pops in the drywall after that!