Thursday, June 17, 2010

No method to my madness

You've probably seen blogs from some designers - especially the professional ones - where they show you their design process. It starts with a sketch or two, several swatches, and then slowly, methodically and with much thought and care, they create a beautiful garment.

Yeah - I don't design like that.

I get an vague idea and I go full force grab the yarn, cast on and go - whatever happens - happens. And most of the time it works.

When I started the scale pattern on Daenerys, I had no idea how I was going to end it. When I got to that point - I just sorta let the stitches take me where they wanted to go.

I've always been like that. If there was a project for art class where we had to do a "brainstorming" sketch before starting the actual project I'd do the most half-assed sketch you'd ever see, or I'd skip it completely, take the hit on the marks and go right for the jugular- the actual project.

Preparation is for wankers.

Anyway, my point to all this is in designing my new shawl, I started with a vague idea that floated into my head during one of my lunchtime walks. I cast on for it yesterday and knit happily along until it was time to add in a new stitch pattern - but what pattern??? I hadn't thought that far ahead.

So today on my walk, I thought a little more and decided I wanted a continuation of the leaf theme - but different than the leaf pattern already used.

This was going to take a little forethought.

Crap.

I hate forethought.

Now, I'm knitting this in Fluffy Cat. Lovely yarn that it is, it doesn't like being frogged - it starts too look a little worn out after too many do-overs.

So, I grabbed a ball of spare yarn and I *gasp* began to swatch!Now it took me almost all night to get it done and charted with the first stitch pattern - but hot damn! I like it! I should be able to get it knit into the shawl on the weekend.

Then it's on to the third stitch pattern.

No - I don't know what it is yet.

I guess I'm just a damn the torpedoes kinda girl - but so far it seems to be working for me.

3 comments:

lexa said...

It's looking pretty darned good already! Keep doing what you do cuz it works. :)

Minding My Own Stitches said...

It's a very promising start. As for preparation, you have to do what works for you! And obviously "just going for it" works.

Lately my knitting has been all about lessons of the importance of preparation. How tedious!

Jeanne said...

I think you must be doing something right since all of your designs are so nice - and the ones I've knit always work. Keep up the job good!