Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Poor widdle Tuxikins

Is it just me - or is my cat giving me the stink-eye? That look totally says "eff-off", doesn't it?

Well poor little Tux has a reason to be grumpy. He's had a bad start to the week. Yesterday, he was pulled from a leisurely breakfast to be dumped off a place filled with weird smells, weird people and the most hated of all things - dogs! Yep, he went to spend the day with the vet.

So he got poked, prodded and generally annoyed all day. Then, because I was out of town for the afternoon and not returning before the vet closed for the day, he had to go spend some time at Mom's.
And, as much as he loves Grandcatmama, he doesn't like spending time at Grandcatmama's house - it's filled with weird smells, weird people (both of those because of Dad) and the most hated thing of all...
...Ladydoggy. (Ladydoggy is actually very good to cats, Tux is just prejudiced.)

And with all that poking prodding and general discomfort, we discovered that Tux does indeed have diabetes, as well as a bladder infection.

The good news is, the vet says we should be able to control the diabetes with diet instead of insulin shots.

The bad news is he has to take pills for two weeks (for the infection) and I can't make him feel better by sharing my ice cream
(Old picture - I promise, I am not giving my diabetic cat ice cream)

He goes back to the vet in two weeks for a follow-up and we see if we've got his blood sugar under control.

14 comments:

Walden said...

Sorry to hear that, I hope you can get everything straight and he won't need insulin.

Monika said...

Oh, I'm so sorry for Tux! But I love the photo where he licks ice cream!

lexa said...

Poor Tux! Hope he doesn't end on insulin.

Minding My Own Stitches said...

That does sound like a dreadful day for a cat! Poor Tux!

LOL: My word verification is "tristes"!

TheBlackSheep said...

Poor Tux! It's bad enough he's ill, but having to go to the vet TOO! He should get a new toy for that.

I've heard cat diabetes is very easy to manage, so hopefully he'll be good in a couple of weeks.

And tell him to wise up, Ladydog is very cute and looks like she would never hurt a fly. She'd probably even protect him and give him kisses.

Anonymous said...

Poor Tux! Hope the blood sugar tests come back with lowered levels.

I have a husband with the same problem ... :::sigh:::

I think I'm in love with your Mom's dog. What a sweet face.

Samantha said...

Aww, poor Tux! What a horrible day! What kind of diet are they putting him on?

zoom said...

What a crappy day for poor old Tux. He needs some good old-fashioned spoiling of the non-sugary variety. A cat massage? Yarn? Sorbet?

Amy & the house of cats said...

Oh poor Tux - all that awful vet and dog stuff, and then to find out no more ice cream - just awful!

Ok, so now I have to recommend a blog to you - it is Us Three Coons (they are three maine coons, one of whom is diabetic) and their mom has posted a lot about living with a diabetic cat - Nimbus is on shots, so has it worse than Tux, but it has a lot of great info. I know that one of the other blogs I follow has a cat who just was diagnosed and I told her about it and she found it helpful. Oh, duh, the URL is http://lynx217.blogspot.com/. There was one post from a while back that was great about how a diabetic cat should deal with it's human - I can't find the link to that specific post though.

Lost City Denise said...

Oh poor Tux! Stroke the little guy for me.

Anonymous said...

awww poor Tux!!!!

your parents dog looks adorable!!

Heide said...

Poor little fellow! I hope the treatments help him live a long and healthy life.

Too bad he can't have any of that ice cream any more. It looks divine. Is it black cherry?

Knatolee said...

I'm sorry he has diabetes but am glad it can be controlled through diet! Love the ice-cream pic, and Ladydog is absolutely beautiful.

Jeanne said...

I'm sorry to hear he had such a rough day but good news that you can control it without insulin. HOpe he is feeling better!