Monday, August 16, 2010

Unsettled

I was very unsettled with my knitting this weekend - hopping from one project to the next.

I pulled out some Debbie Bliss Pure Silk and cast on for a new shawl (Aestlight) then I got bored, ripped it all out and cast on for a new one (Swallowtail). I knew a few repeats on it and moved on to some second socks.Then I got bored again knit a few squares on the Crackghan. But even this didn't satisfy me.

So I did something totally crazy. I went upstairs and got the Noro Silk Garden Lite I'd bought sometime last year. I had bought it with the intention of making an entrelac beret - but decided I didn't want to make that. Instead I found this pattern and cast onUnfortunately - apparently I can't read a pattern. I knew the hat would be a little smaller than spec, I used DK instead of Aran - but I'm a loose knitter and I have a small head. However, for some reason, I decided to make up my own rules for decreasing and as a result the crown is much shorter than it should be. It still fits, but it's not the poofy, voluminous fit it should be.
I'm also not overly thrilled with the colours - they are nice, but not what I'd wear.
However, it will make a perfect hat for one of my nieces. So I made some mittens to go with it.
I got lucky with the second ball and was able to manipulate the yarn to get matching mittens.

A word about Noro - anyone who's poked around on Ravelry or blogs knows that most people either love it or hate it. For me it's a love/hate relationship. I love the long colour runs, and the way the colours subtley change from one to the next. But the yarn itself - YUCK! It's badly spun - it might as well be a thick/thin yarn. And full of veggie matter. It's a very "rustic" yarn, and so not worth the price.

That said, if it was on sale and I wanted to do some felting - I'd totally go for it. (I'm also interested to see how it would knit up in a Loch Ness Monster.)

In other knitting news - I'm resisting the urge to go to the Tent Sale at the Needle Emporium this week. I definitely don't need the yarn, and I really should pay my rent instead - but I got soooo many good deals there last year (enough yarn for two sweaters, three pairs of socks, a shawl, a shrug, a couple of hedgehogs, and a stock pile of Baby Monkey - all for under $200).

If you are in the area, I definitely recommend checking it out!

6 comments:

Minding My Own Stitches said...

I'm with you on Noro. The mittens look cute. Are you going to felt them?

Here I was happily pottering around, not knowing anything at all about a tent sale, not feeling like I needed to go yarn shopping and then you say something like that!

Frieda said...

Love the hat and mittens !


I couldn't agree with you more about the Noro . I saw some Noro sock yarn on sale at my lys and the owner said that she really slashed the prices just to get rid of it . She's not a fan either . I didn't buy any after her comments , despite being tempted by the gorgeous colours.Kinda defeated her purpose but I appreciated her honesty .

Monika said...

Those mittens are too cute!
I feel for you with all the restlessness with your knitting. I have that sometimes too. I'm in between projects. I still have one crochet blanket to finish, and the green blanket, but it's not going to happen in this small space, with Denny around. I don't know what I'll cast on next. I would love to knit several other shawls, but I've done 10 this year already, and I don't need more. I'm glad a few of them are spoken for, so I might just cast on for another one. Anyway, until I decide, I'll spin a little.

Knitting Linguist said...

I love the way that hat looks! And the mittens turned out beautifully, too. I admit that I've never actually purchased any Noro, and the one skein that someone gave me is now languishing in a half-knitted shawl, so I guess I'm leaning towards the "dislike" end of the spectrum, for all the reasons you mentioned...

TheBlackSheep said...

I think that's the first non-rave I've ever heard about Noro. I don't actually think I've ever used it because it's expensive and I'd have to have it shipped too, so it's good to know I've not missed out on anything.

Love the hat!

RobinH said...

See I've only heard people rave about Noro, but I've petted a few skeins in my LYS and wasn't impressed, so I didn't buy any.

OTOH, I've also heard people say it softens when washed...have you tried that? If so, I'm curious to know what you thought.

(The hat and mittens are very cute, however! Love the matched mitten colors.)