Tuesday, December 16, 2014

O Christmas Tree

We're into single digits now!
And while we're on the topic of trees, I thought I'd show you some pics of mine (to distract you from the lack of knitting of course...)

Like Mom's tree, mine is quite ecclectic. I've always admired the colour-coordinated trees, and Mom and I even tried it one year when I was a teenager. We went out and bought and made a whole bunch of pink, gold and Victorian themed ornaments, but in the end, we were just too attached to the grade school ornaments, the blown glass ones that reminded her of the ones her grandmother had, the ones we crafted together.... we are admittedly a sentimental bunch.

That's probably why, when I moved out and Dad gave me a small (2 ft) pre-lit tree, Mom gave me a bunch of special ornaments that I used to hang on her tree. (It also made room on hers for more ornaments from the girls...)
This one is probably one of the oldest and my most favourite - it was given to me by my Grade 1 teacher, Mrs Ireland. Her husband made a different one for every child in the class (there were more than 20 of us.
I have a great love of Polar Bears, and Coca Cola, so it's only natural that I've collected several Coca Cola Polar bear ornaments over the years. This is just one of them.
 When Dave came on the scene, I got us matching snowmen with our names on them
Mom bought a full set of mini Rudolph ornaments one year, but they were so small they got lost in her full size tree. But they were just perfect for mine. And everyone is there - Rudolph, Clarice, Yukon Cornelius, Bumble...
Mom tree holds the tribute to our former pets, but mine has three of these pretty stained glass kitties in honour of Tux, Rocky and Peno (each one is a different colour). When I worked from the newspaper, there was a fabulous little shop within walking distance that sold the work of local artists. I really hope the shop is still there because I'd love to go back and get some more of this artists work.

My tree may be little, but it's jam packed full of love. Just as it should be.

Do you have a favourite ornament on your tree?

3 comments:

Monika said...

That cat ornament is lovely! It's wonderful to have so many meaningful ornaments. I don't have a single special ornament! For me it's the lights, that do it for me. This year, I only put up the handspun, handknit mini mittens as decoration, and the tree is pre-lit.

Anonymous said...

Our tree is the eclectic kind too. Most of the ornaments are to remember something (or someone) special or things I have stitched.

BUT, my favorite one is one Stephen made in elementary school. His art teacher was a potter and they made clay ornaments. Stephen made an angel. It is front and center on our tree and always the first ornament put up.

RobinH said...

I've given up putting up a tree on those years we're not having company for Christmas- I miss it a little, but it does give me more time for other Christmas preparations (like baking!).

But when I do put up the tree, I have many favorites- among them a pair of beaded angels my grandmother made during a beading hobby phase when I was a kid. For some reason my mom has never liked them, but I love them- all sparkly crystal with little gold halos. (I'm pretty sure they don't represent my sister and I however, as no one ever mistook us for angels. Possibly they were supposed to keep an eye on us.)