Sunday, October 29, 2017

Mad for plaid

Back to the theme of obsessions we discussed the other day...

As many of you know, I have a bit of an obsession with Old Navy - specifically their Fit and Flare dresses... (I bought a few more this summer and I think I'm topped out somewhere around 30.)

But this year, I also discovered their pajama pants... both flannel and cotton versions. Now that I work from home, I spend a lot more time in pajama pants than I really should... I think I've finally topped out there too, but due to my obsessive nature and easy distractability, I find myself on the website every other day. This of course, has led to a spate of frequent purchases (Damn you Supercash!)

But it wasn't until the packages started arriving that I really noticed a theme...

It started with this shirt back in September
A pretty, over-sized, light-weight flannel shirt. I told myself I was buying it so I would stop wearing pajama pants all day - I could throw it on with a pair of leggings, still be "jammie-pant-comfy", but be dressed enough to answer the door when the mail man came.

But the truth was. I LOVE flannel. I blame my father, king of the flannel shirt. I also love plaid. Like reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally love plaid. Part of that is my Scottish heritage... but most of it is purely esthetic  - I love how it looks - classic but colourful.

Anyway... over last month and a half the plaid started pouring in...
Another classic flannel - (Stewart tartan, which is Dave's clan).
ANOTHER pair of jammie pants... because Flannel+Plaid+Jammie pants... you can't say no to a triple threat like that.
There was something about these Stevie pants that just scream "punk rock" to me. I had to have them.
I'm queen of the dress around these parts (I rarely wear pants, even in the winter) so a plaid shirt dress was a no brainer.
The last thing I need is more shoes... but you can't reason with an obsession like this. I rationalized it by telling myself they were flats, and I'm walking much more now, so I need flat shoes.
This last one is probably the only one I actually did need. While I don't have a lot of wait time between transit connections, I've learned that five minutes when the wind is blowing can feel like eternity. Last year I had to buy a new, lighter-coloured coat because I was walking in the dark more. Unlike my old coat, it does not have a hood, or a collar that you can stand up an block the wind. A blanket scarf is the perfect solution. And if it's a happy, colourful plaid, so much the better. I thought this would go particularly well with my favourite handspun hat.

But now I really do need to reign things in.... or I'm never going to save enough for new wheels! (I wonder if you can get plaid interior on a car...)

6 comments:

Delighted Hands said...

Ha! Special order the interior and you will be all set! I have a few plaid skirts but have never gotten into the oversized plaid shirts. You will be very pretty in these plaids but don't hang them to closely in your closet so there won't be another clan war!!!! lol

chrisknits said...

They are all lovely! I must check out the selection as I also have a plaid addiction!

Bridget said...

Sigh. I wish you hadn't shown us these ...

Araignee said...

I have become addicted to pajama pants myself since the weather has turned chilly only to find that they are impossible to buy in stores around here. I am going to have to do some online sleuthing. Thanks for the tip.

Cat Lover said...

Oh, they all look so lovely! I remember wearing plaid back in the 1970's in high school, I haven't worn it since. Geesshhh, I'm out of style!

Mereknits said...

I love that plaid dress so much. Enjoy your new things.