Thursday, October 26, 2017

Playing hooky

When I was on vacation the other week, I ended up having to work a couple days. My job is project-based, and I'm the only one in the company for my role. There are weeks where I'm twiddling my thumbs, with nothing to do, and there are weeks where I'm working evenings and weekends to get everything done on time.

We try to schedule my vacations around the leaner times, but it's not always predictable. So my boss and I have a deal - while I'm off, I keep an eye on my email for any urgent work, and if I have to work, I track it and take the time off when things are quiet.

Yesterday was one such day. I called the boss, told him I was skipping out for the day. Mom showed up soon after, and we headed off on a road trip!
We were headed to Port Dover, about an hour south of us, on the shores of Lake Erie. The day was cool, and there was a storm brewing over the Lake, but we had perfect weather. We were headed here...
There's a Lens Mills just a couple kilometres from my place (I can walk to it!) But the Port Dover Lens is much bigger - it has two buildings! There's one for the usual surplus sell-off stuff they carry (clothes and house wares and everything in between), but the other building (in the foreground) is just chock full of nothing but fabric and yarn and all the little goodies that go with it!

As I mentioned when I stopped there the other week with Dave, they have a great selection of fat quarters. This time around, I didn't have Dave with me, so I had lots of time to comb through it all. 
I came home with these 16 pretties. While Mom was looking for certain colours, I'm just stash-building. I bought anything that caught my eye.

I was also in need of a few pairs of scissors - I'm pretty sure Dave has absconded with most of the pairs we have kicking around.
I did get a couple "normal" pairs, but I just couldn't resist this Hello Kitty pair. I also grabbed the same pompom makers Mom has. Now I don't need to run to her every time I make a pompom!

After shopping, we had lunch on Lake. The storm was getting closer...
...but we finished well before it reached the shore, and headed home! A perfect way to play hooky from work!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Any day that you come home with something Hello Kitty is a GOOD day! LOL

Looks like the storm was a pretty big one.

Seajaes said...

Did you eat at the Erie Belle. Best place for perch. We always eat in the bar. Just a bit less formal and prices better.

chrisknits said...

You got some awesome stash items there. Gorgeous colors. Love the scissors, who doesn't need Hello Kitty scissors? But I am sure it's the cats who are absconding with the scissors.

Eastside Cats said...

Wow, an adventure on a surprise vacation day...great! Love the stormy pic over Lake Erie.

Araignee said...

That looks like a great trip!!! Fat quarters are so much fun. I love having a great pile of them so much so that I hardly use the pretty little things.

Cat Lover said...

Sounds like a lovely day!

Delighted Hands said...

Sure sounds like a great day and way to play hooky!!!
The fat quarters are so pretty-but the new pom pom makers caught my eye-nice purchase!

Mereknits said...

I grew up sailing on Lake Erie, it is a beautiful lake. Love the new fabrics. Glad you treated yourself to a day off.