Saturday, July 7, 2012

Missing mojo

After finishing up the Silver Cardigan, something happened to my knitting mojo - it went MIA.  My plan was to finish the dragonfly socks, but I just couldn't find it in myself to pick them up. In fact - my mojo in general walked out the door. Nothing has been accomplished - not even the quilt.

Annoyed by that fact, I thought maybe starting a new project would help give my mojo a good swift kick in the pants.

So I cast on for a shawl using my new gradient yarn. I got two rows done and ripped it. Tried a different pattern. Riiiiiiiiiiiiip, after just two pattern repeats. Finally I cast on for another Haruni - becuase knitting leaves always makes me happy. It managed to keep my attention for a whole evening, but by the next morning, I was ready to rip it out.

So, I sat down a figured out the math to enlarge the Silver Cardigan for myself.  I pulled some Debbie Bliss pure silk from stash, becuase knitting with silk always makes me happy. I got 10 whole rows done before mojo ran off again.

Obviously I was going to have to resort to desperate measures - maybe I just needed a quick hit. I had yarn waiting to make my niece a hat for Christmas. It might just kill two birds if I could stick to it -  bring the mojo back and knock a present off the list.

So I knit. It was boring... just plain 'ol stocknit. But I kept knitting. And knitting. And knitting. Next thing I know, it's midnight, and Dave's asking me if I'm coming to bed. "Sorry honey - be up in a bit - I just want to finish this hat...."


An hour and a half later...

It's finished. The Robin Hood Hat - embellished with a little bit of whimsy for our punk rock princess.
Skulls....with glitter bows... naturally.

And now, I'm going to give the mojo a break for a few hours and tackle some housework. I might appreciate it even more after scrubbing a few floors.

6 comments:

Monika said...

The hat looks great. It's probably the heat. I have to drag myself from room to room, and from task to task. I want to sleep all day, maybe read, but nothing else, but the dogs wont hear of it, so I have to be outside, no matter what. Puh. My son wants me to cook too. I wish he would do that once in a while. Sigh.

Knatolee said...

Looooove the skulls and crossbones!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh ... those skull buttons are awesome.


I've been looking --- I think I found your mojo. It's was under my coffee table. Did that help?????

Rachelle said...

Last time my mojo disappeared I traced it to a pair of socks I was knitting for Dh, hated the pattern, but loved the yarn and that conflict was resulting in nil knitting mojo. Frogged them, and got it straight back. That yarn will still be socks for Dh, just not in that particular pattern.

Araignee said...

The TdF killed my knitting mojo-and the heat. It was 102 here today and I had to bribe myself with ice cream to get 4 rows done on a sweater I MUST have finished by October.
Love the hat. Small projects are best for summer. I need to remember that before I cast on in spring.

Minding My Own Stitches said...

Naturally with skulls with glitter bows, LOL! Cute hat!

My Mom used to say "Some days things just won't "go", no point in trying to force it." And I think that's true. Better to do something else and then come back to it when the mojo's back!