Well - tomorrow I'm back to work, but I'm feeling pretty good. The quilt is done! Even the binding!
I was not fun at first, but once I let go, and stopped worrying about what the back looked like (seriously, who sees the back?) it went better. It does look like it was quilted by a gin-soaked washer woman, but it's totally functional.
It took me about four hours to quilt the entire thing - just basic "stitch-in-the-ditch" quilting (even keeping it that easy, I still can't sew in a straight line). I would have gone much faster but for two things:
1) With just three lines left to quilt, I ran out of thread. Not cool.Much swearing ensured. Fortunately Mom came to the rescue and brought me down another spool. She's such a good Mommy.
2) The 15 lb fur-covered anchor who just wanted to "help"
"Oh. Hi. I'm... um... helping.... yeah... that's it. I'm keeping this big cushy, soft ... I mean heavy! Heavy blankie in place so it doesn't pull your machine of the table. Yeah.... yeah ... that's it."
After extracting the cat - several times - the quilting was done and it was onto the binding. I used that nice satin blanket binding you see on kids' blankets. There are cheaper ways to bind a quilt, and easier too - because that satin is slippery - but I absolutely adore it.
It took about two hours to pin it, and another hour to sew - but my quilt was done by bedtime! All in all - this quilt actually took me about a decade to make. That's from when the fabric was originally bought to the final completion.
I have one other quilt started - though the top isn't done yet - hopefully I can finish it quicker...
I think I need another vacation.