Monday, July 28, 2014

Garden woes

I guess the bigger your gardens - the bigger your problems.

Last year, other than the onions that didn't grow and some rather lack-luster beans, I had no issues with the gardens.

This year, I doubled the square footage and now it seems like the neighbourhood pests have decided it's the perfect place to chill.

I've found three more Japanese beetles (two on the roses and one on the Sunflower) and their presence is becoming more noticeable...
The berries are starting to ripen nicely but I've yet to get to eat them...
I think this is the work of the birds, because the berries are still attached to the plants.
I'm going to get some netting and see if I can head this off. I have lots of berries coming this year and I don't want to lose them all to the birds.

Out front, some one has run off with two of my four hens and chicks...
And has been nibbling on a third. Chances are this isn't Bunbun either.. perhaps a squirrel or racoon?

And the other morning I came out and my sweet peas were gone.... just gone... not even any sign that they were in the dirt at all. I think that's the one that hurts the most... I was really looking forward to seeing them bloom!

But, on the upside, the tomatoes are coming well (I already gave a bag-full to Mom.) and I think the  jalapenos are safe from the nibblers....


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry you are having so much garden woe.

I battled slugs/snails this weekend. They thought my bat plant might be tasty.

The peppers are now away from the deer and in an enclosed screen. It's more work for me, but will help the garden grow.

Hope you can salvage some of your berries.

Araignee said...

Oh, no. I am sad to say I can relate...
I have very little in the gardening department because we live under intense shade but I am/was very proud of my hostas. Already the blankety-blank deer have ate them ALL to the ground.

Unknown said...

Oh no I'm so sorry. How frustrating after all your love and care. Hope you can find some solutions!

kathy b said...

aahhh you have a true Farmer's dilemma going
I always lose some to something. THis year tho, just chives and garlic , and no one got them yet!

Unknown said...

What a bummer to see your produce stolen and/or eaten before you can get to it. I hope you find a solution too!