Saturday, February 24, 2018

FO: Woodland Ballet

Earlier this week, Mom stopped by with the almost completed Woodland Ballet quilt. I'd sent if off to her for quilting and it was finally done. All I had to do was sew down the binding.
I put on a movie, got comfy on the couch and under the watchful eye of my snoopervisor, I got to it. By bedtime, it was done and on the bed.
It's hard to get a decent picture of the whole thing right now - it's far too muddy out for an outdoor photoshoot. But this really is the quilt that started it all. It was a couple years ago and Mom was just getting back into quilting. I'd done a few small tied baby quilts, and there was a fat quarter pack of all the fabrics you see in the bear paws. I bought it, knowing nothing more than I wanted to make bear paws. It's been a long road from here to there.
I collected fabrics from the clearance bin and used up scraps from Mom to to the borders.
Mom did a fantastic free-motion free-hand leaf pattern all over the quilt. It's just perfect! (though she's asked me to give her a bit of a break from my quilting so she can work on her own projects for a bit).
I got lucky and got this gorgeous floral fabric for the backing on clearance too. I still have a couple yards left, so I think some of it may end up in the Eternal Autumn quilt.

Finishing this one is really motivating me to finish more!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know HOW you could concentrate on your work with so much floof right beside you. LOL

P.S. The quilt is beautiful. Love the sunflowers on the backing.

Delighted Hands said...

Look at you!!!! It is a beautiful quilt and has a great story! What a ta-da!

Araignee said...

Oh, those leaves!!!! Mom is so talented. My loop de loops are still pretty crappy.

Tired Teacher said...

It's a beauty! I love scrappy quilts. Your Mom's freehand quilting is wonderful.

The Well Fed Wheel said...

Now that's a spoiled cat if I've ever seen one. LOL Love your mom's freehand quilting. Those leaves are perfectly done!

chrisknits said...

It's lovely and I think the quilting design is perfect for the overall look. Great job all around.

kathy b said...

It must be wonderful to live so close to your mom. Your relationship sounds wonderful. LOVe the bear paw quilt!

Minding My Own Stitches said...

So pretty! I just love seeing the dimpling of a pieced quilt face after longarm quilting!
And yes, your Mom did a fabulous job. Those leaf shapes are perfect!

pdxknitterati/MicheleLB said...

Beautiful quilt, and what a helpful kitter!

Rachelle said...

It looks gorgeous and your mum did a great job on the quilting.

Eastside Cats said...

Love this quilt, and am blown away by your mom's leaf design. Wow!