Monday, January 28, 2013

I hate this sock. I love this sock.

I feel like I've fallen into a black hole of projects that never grow.

I've already mentioned how slow the hat is going. But since it's just stockinette stitch for a while, it's a good travel project, so I've turned my attention to the Hero socks.

When I picked them up last night, I had three repeats of the chevron pattern complete - I needed two more before starting the heel. I should have the heel done in no time - right????

WRONG!!!! After HOURS of knitting last night, and hours tonight (an extra hour, in fact, because the bad weather meant I worked from home, so no commuting) I've only just completed the heel.

As much as I love the look of cables, and this pattern in particular, I'm really not all that fond of executing them.

They just take so much time! (The yarn overs and decreases of lace are so much smoother and go so quickly!) And - this pattern has several cables EVERY ROW!!! There are no rest rows.

And naturally, the designer has very cleverly continued the cabled chevrons all the way down the foot! (Don't get me wrong - it looks amazing and it's one of the reasons I love this pattern. 

This sock feels absolutely interminable! And I'm only on the first one!!!

I almost chucked it in a frogged the whole thing. Then I almost chucked it in and modified the pattern to do just ribbing down the foot.

Then I took a deep breath and reminded myself that the reason I like this sock is the pattern. And Dave's going to love it too.

And when it really gets to me - I just stop and pet it. Cashmere makes everything better... right?

8 comments:

Delusional Knitter said...

Oh cashmere! It does look like a cool pattern. I love the way cables look, but hate how they slow everything down so much too.

Rachelle said...

Cashmere definitely makes everything better, a good Merino is almost as good. I'm on the neverending baby cardi at the moment, I wish it would hurry up, I want to knit socks!

Araignee said...

I even taught myself to cable without a needle in hopes it would make things speedier but I find it just as fiddly. I have to put myself on a cable "diet" in order to proceed without losing my mind. I only allow so many rows a day and just accept it will be slow going. Cables are a pain until they are done and then they are a work of art. Hang in there!

Minding My Own Stitches said...

Combining cabling with socks always gives me pause. It's so dramatic and so fiddly at the same time. It will be worth it in the end, so good for you for not giving into the temptation to simplify it :)

Unknown said...

Yeah, I agree, just hang in there, because these socks are beautiful. I'm not sure I would have the patience to work through that pattern. What a great pair of socks they will be!! Yummy cashmere? Can't beat it!

Monika said...

It it were me, I would frog it. But I have no patience for never ending projects. There are so many beautiful sock patterns out there, which I love to look at but will never knit. You are much stronger than me! :o)

kathy b said...

I need to make some cashmere socks!

Alisha said...

Those are going to be beautiful. You are an amazing knitter. I am in awe of your talent!!!!