Friday, January 18, 2013

You never forget your first socks...

It's official. I've got the sick. I've been home since yesterday with it. I've got my feet up, my cats cuddled, and I ain't moving till I feel better.
And looking at those feet got me thinking.... Those are the oldest pair of socks I own. They were knit in 2006 - by Mom, not by me. I was knitting at the time - but not on DPNs, not with fingering weight yarn, and definitely not lace! (oh how we laugh about that now...) I saw the Hedera pattern in Knitty, and I just had to have them (really, I think it was the shoes that got me...) and I had to have them in pink! I'd never asked Mom to knit me socks before (everything else, yes - but I didn't see the allure of knitted socks... yet...) so she was more than happy to.

I wore them constantly, most often with a nice pair of black Mary Janes and a flirty skirt. It surprised me at first how many people noticed my socks were hand made - but then, you can't get socks like that at the store, can you?

They are still one of my favourite pairs. You can't tell by the picture, but one is a little duller than the other. I accidentally washed one with my darks one day, so it has a bit of a grey cast to it. Doesn't stop me from wearing them.

Mom's stitch-perfection still amazes me. And there's not a hole or worn spot to be seen. (The yarn is Fortissma Socka, for those who are interested - not the softest yarn out there, but not uncomfortable by any means and certainly hard-wearing).

Two years later, I was ready to knit socks myself.  And my first socks....

... a pair for Dave. (Seriously... who makes their first pair for a man with giant feet??? It's a wonder I ever made another pair!) It was a Fibre Trends basic sock pattern, which was fantastic, except for the hideous round toe. (I wasn't ready for grafting yet...) The yarn was Opal Cotton and I don't recommend it. Unlike me, Dave doesn't still have his first pair of socks because they stretched so large they'd fit a baby elephant!

Do you remember your first socks (knit by you or otherwise)?


PS... I heard a rumour that the shop had been updated with fantastic new yarns... including SoloCat...
...which I can tell you is a fantastic shawl yarn... Aeolian is almost off the needles!

14 comments:

Samantha said...

I remember you begging for those socks. LOL

When I read SoloCat (which looks scrumptious by the way) I hear the song Red Solo Cup. Lets have a party.

Sava said...

I do remember my first socks! Probably because I just knit them a few months ago ;)

bittenbyknittin said...

First I made slipper socks for my son (in Lion Brand Wool-Ease Chunky). Then I knit two pairs in tandem, one went to my daughter (Online Klaus Koch Supersocke) and the other to my SO (Lion Brand Magic Stripes). I had to scroll through my old knitting blog to figure all that out - and took a brief trip down memory lane. I'd forgotten about some of the things I've knit (and sometimes with good reason!)

LeslieA said...

My first pair of socks was knitted in 8ply yarn on 3.75mm DPN's and as they were too big for me, I gave them to my husband; fortunately for him,they were grey.

gayle said...

My first socks were a pair of Argyles that I knit way back in high school - for my best friend for her birthday. (I'd gotten hold of an old knitting leaflet from the 1940's and fell in love with the pattern, despite the fact that I'd never knit socks before.)
Since that was about 45 years ago, I doubt that she still has them...

Knatolee said...

I think I started knitting socks around 2001, and I think I used some self-striping yarn, but damned if I can remember anything else!

And look at you, such an accomplished knitter now! :)

lexa said...

My first pair of socks ever was a pair knit with Patons Shetland Ragg, a chunky yarn, I used them for slippers. Probably knit those in the mid 90s. My first real socks I still have, made of cheapy Bernat Sox acrylic sock yarn. I think they'll outlive us all! Can't remember when I made those, it was a long time ago. I was always under the impression that socks were hard to knit for some reason

Hope you feel better fast!

Rachelle said...

I remember my first socks, they were in a hand-dyed yarn that pooled horribly and they were too big. Still wore them in bed till I made some more that fit properly.

Araignee said...

Goodness. I don't remember my first socks but I bet they were in a cheap worsted weight on huge needles. I think a few of my relatives were gifted them before I knew any better.
I love those pink ones. You are right-they are amazingly perfect.
Feel better!

Minding My Own Stitches said...

I love Hedera. It's been in my queue forever but I still haven't got to that pattern.

My first socks were Breeze ankle socks in cotton. I still have them but I never wear them. I knit them as part of a KAL but I don't like ankle socks and I don't like cotton socks :(

Zenitude said...

I do remember my first pair of socks which I knitted when I was in university, a long time ago! They were knee high mostly acrylic with a bit of wool and with many small cables all around. Now that I think about it, it was a crazy idea for a first pair of socks. But those socks were finished and I wore them for a very short time. They ended up stretching enough to fit my boyfriend (now my hubby). We threw them out just a few months ago, they finally wore out at the heel!

WildflowerWool said...

I remember my first hand knit socks. I knit them for myself years ago out of Patons Kroy and I still have them and wear them. No holes yet either.

Deb said...

My first socks were for my son. We were having trouble finding socks to fit, so we were stretching tube socks over 2 liter bottles, or piecing tube socks together to get something that would fit his size 18 EEEE foot.

I followed the pattern and when I came to the heel turn, thought "This can't work!". It did and when he tried them on, he got a big smile on his face and said "They don't squish my toes."

They were made out of a black tweed Regia and he wore them for 3 years before they wore out.

Now he gets socks every year for his birthday or Christmas.

Thanks for the fun memory.

kathy b said...

Why is your round toe hideous?? They fit my fat feet best ....I love a round toe.
I love your mommas pink socks knit up for you!!!!

im off to your store...