Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Itty bitty

The  suns been out for the last couple of days and it's been warm enough to open the door and let in the fresh air. Of course, all that makes me want to do is get out in the garden!

But there's lots of good news out there. All of it tiny!
At least one of the squashed poppies is coming back! It's barely bigger than my baby fingernail - but hey! It's alive!
As are the Cherry Brandy Black-Eyed Susans. I was a littel worried about this one. The other Susan started sprouting weeks ago. But I guess I was just being impatient.
Same with the pink Delphinium. This plant wasn't as robust as the white and blue ones, so I thought maybe I lost it - but look at all that growth!
Also VERY happy to see that the squirrels left at least some of the Alium bulbs. They will provide some nice late spring colour.
Last year I bought a mystery Columbine on clearance and planted it in the side garden. It had no blooms so I have no idea what colour it is (I have red and white ones elsewhere in the garden). hopefully we'll find out this year.
And look! the Jacob's Ladder IS coming up again! So happy to see this!
But this one is the real excitement! This is one of my winter sow jugs! It's the Butterfly Mix (Alyssum, Daisies, Bachelor Buttons, Milkweed, Candytuft, Columbine, Coneflowers, Coreopsis, Cosmos, Scarlet Flax, Marigolds, Poppies,and Wallflowers). The Mammoth sunflowers are the only other jug showing signs of life, but if this sunshine persists... I'm sure it won't be long!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like you are in for a successful garden this year!

Delighted Hands said...

How exciting! Maybe Spring will certainly be felt in your garden at last!

Vera said...

Exciting! So glad your sow jugs have worked. Always amazes me how some gardens north of us can be more advanced than ours!

Araignee said...

How exciting! I need to plant some grass seeds for the cats to bring in. They are destroying my houseplants.

The Well Fed Wheel said...

Oh wow! Lots of new growth! And the winter sow jug is just amazing. I was skeptical about that actually working. So cool!

kathy b said...

I moved Columbine from seed and it took about 5 years for them to take off. Then they went gangbusters. I hope they are coming up at the old house in Glenview. HOORAY for your Winter Sow seedlings!!!!!! Wheeee. Glad we did it together!

elns said...

I love that beautiful last photo. It makes me have all the spring feelings. I love watching your garden grow every year. :)

Cat Lover said...

Looks like your experiment with the jugs worked! That's great! I must have a look around my garden to see if anything else is coming up.
Robin