Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Winter sown

A few months back, KathyB posted about winter sowing. I was intrigued by the idea for a couple of reasons:
1) Because it's suppose to produce stronger, healthier plants vs planting indoors
and
2) I wouldn't have to listen to Dave complain that grandma's table was covered in seedlings for two straight months (it's not my fault - it's the only spot in the house that gets enough light.

So... I ran out and got some seeds, but I had one problem. We don't have milk jugs here. Our milk comes in bags or cartons. It took some time, but with a little creativity, Mom and I scrounged up a vinegar jug, a few apple cider jugs, some distilled water bottles and a couple pop bottles. and on the weekend I finally got around to planting them
They are now soaking up the sun on my garden cart... leaving grandma's table free for other activities!

It's much later than I planned on starting them - but there should still be plenty of freeze and thaw to get them going (the whole weekend temps were below freezing... today we're up to 11C/51F).

I've held back about half of each packet of seeds, just incase this is a total fail. The sunflowers in particular are a bit of a gamble. Winter Sowing is really meant for hardy perennials, though they say you can start some of the tougher annuals (like Sweet Peas) in March.

Time will tell, but I'm hoping to see sprouts round about April... that's only a few more weeks....

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish you much success with your seeds! I purchased a few seed packets recently. Enjoy your day.

Cat Lover said...

Oh, how interesting! Looking forward to seeing your results.

Vera said...

Fun! I want to know what you planted! And, you are going to have to post periodic pictures.

Delighted Hands said...

Only we who garden can experience the thrill of planting seeds and the expectation of flowers to come! Good for you-here's hoping for a huge success!

Anonymous said...

good luck! :-)

Jocelyn said...

I wish I loved gardening, because I surely love the results! I'm looking forward to enjoying yours vicariously.

kathy b said...

Im crossing my green thumbs too! Im pretty skeptical, but they swear this works. Mine are still tucked in and no sign of seedlings yet. This is fun because you are doing it too!!!

The Well Fed Wheel said...

This is very interesting! I've never seen this done before. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Araignee said...

I had to walk past all the seed displays at Walmart yesterday and was so tempted. I have had no luck with plants here in any shape or form so I think I'll just let it all be this year. I will order up some spring bulbs for delivery this fall. My display is quite pitiful this year.

Mereknits said...

It will be so exciting to see them grow. Good job!