Sunday, November 10, 2013

Not square

The birth of my newest project began last Christmas, when Mom gave me these socks...
A pretty autumn rainbow!
I liked the yarn so much (Kroy FX in "Clover Colours") that I stole the remaining two skeins out of her stash. My intention was to eventually make a pair of gloves and a hat. Naturally, I got side tracked by other projects and the yarn languished.

Then this summer, my coworker gave me a lovely red fall coat that no longer fit her.
I can't decide if I'm Red Riding Hood or Paddington Bear...but I love this coat!
I've been wearing my Cranberry Bonnet and Glinda Mitts with it, but the grey is not the best compliment, so I've been planning on making a new set.

Then... a few weeks ago, Mom turned out these fabulous mitts on her circular sock machine...
So cozy!
They were for another Raveller, so I couldn't steal them... but I've persuaded Mom to make me a pair out of the Kroy. So I decided I better get started on the hat...
It's nice to be working on something other than a square!
I'm using the Lightweight Raspberry Beret pattern. It's a great pattern that I've knit before. It has a nice range of sizes too and the beret is flattering to almost any face. I think it's going to be perfect with my coat.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah! I love that coat. The hat and mitts to come will be just PERFECT!

Rachelle said...

I like the socks, love the coat and can't wait to see the mitts and beret, that pattern should be perfect for the yarn.

Araignee said...

Your Mom and her machine are amazing. With everyone wanting socks for Christmas this year I am wishing I had one.
That coat is gorgeous. I love red in the winter.

WildflowerWool said...

Gotta love that Kroy sock yarn!

bittenbyknittin said...

Ooh, love those colors! I am one of those faces that cannot wear a beret. :-( Your mom is the best!

Delusional Knitter said...

Um, Red Riding Hood for sure! That's what I thought when I saw the photo before I even read the post. I love that Kroy sock, I think I've used that very color in the past and loved it.

kathy b said...

NOThing like a new coat to inspire accessories in knitting!!! Love your red riding hood!